Style > Beauty

Gator Glam: 7 Beauty Lessons Audrey Hepburn Taught Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

When it comes to elegance and class, few icons surpass Audrey Hepburn. Her graceful style and modest demeanor propelled her to success in the golden age of Hollywood and for countless years afterward. Over time, she crafted a beautiful life filled with charm, grace and simplicity. May we forever be able to learn about some of life’s most crucial beauty and life lessons from the queen herself.

1. You can never be too overdressed.Audrey was known to be stylish wherever she went. Whether it was a photoshoot in an evening gown or in her PJs, she always made an exception to dress for success, no matter how casual. It may not be hard to imagine that if she were a fellow modern collegiette, she would probably dress to her nines every day to class!

2. Great posture is key to any great photo.Any photo taken of Audrey Hepburn shows just how well her early ballet training helped her posture. She exudes an air of confidence no matter if she is photographed playing croquette, lounging on the couch or wearing a tiara. Listen up, ladies: If you want to avoid a potentially dire photo, learn from Audrey and fix bad posture right away!

3. Pick styles that look good on you.Red lips, black winged eyeliner and bold brows helped to frame Audrey’s feminine face. In addition, her collection of high-waisted trousers and belted dresses aided in showcasing her tiny waist. Ms. Hepburn knew when she looked good in particular fashion and beauty styles, and she used them to her advantage. If you know that peplum skirts, sweetheart necklines or skinny jeans work for you, then buy a couple more than usual!

4. Fashion risks are good …and even encouraged.Even though Hepburn knew how to complement herself with certain styles, she still appreciated taking a fashion risk every once in a while. From a nontraditional wedding dress to peculiar pointed hats and even her tomboyish asymmetric bangs, Audrey Hepburn understood a little quirkiness was always in style. Collegiettes, don’t be afraid to add in your own unique element to an outfit! Personal touches can always supplement more charm.

5. Classy never goes out of style.When one hears Audrey Hepburn’s name, they are likely to conjure up an image of the sophisticated leading lady from Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Audrey’s legacy as a fashion icon lives due to her simple, timeless style. While “trends” might last for less than a year, classics like a little black dress or a tasteful suit are eternal. For example, pearl earrings are essential accessories because they go with nearly everything. If you don’t already own a pair, invest in some quality pearls! They add a touch of class to any outfit.

6. “Happy girls are the prettiest girls.”

Audrey Hepburn tried her best to find the good in any situation. After living through World War II, she understood that you didn’t have to be the wealthiest or most beautiful girl around to be content with yourself. You just needed to enjoy life and the simple moments it brought. She knew that if you could learn to embrace this concept, your love of life would shine from the inside out.

7. Beauty shouldn’t only be skin deep.“Elegance is the only beauty that never fades.” This quote by Hepburn essentially sums up what we can learn from the legendary icon. She was not only an actress and a fashion muse, but also a gracious mother and humanitarian. Her work with UNICEF showed she was more than just a pretty face, and the establishment of her memorial foundation proved her commitment to aid those in need even after passing away. Audrey taught us that while appearances can be lovely, it’s the kind and gracious nature of a person that really reflects their beauty.

These are just seven of the many lessons we can learn from Audrey Hepburn. I encourage you to seek out even more of her teachings because they really hold a precious spot in my heart (and they could in yours, too!). And on this note, I’ll end with one last quote from the queen herself: “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.”

Photo credits:www.normanparkinson.com

Elena Kallergis is currently a 4th year Advertising major at the University of Florida. Her passions include ballet dancing, drawing, reading, traveling, and rock climbing. She loves flowers, cats, fashion, chocolate chip cookies, cheeseburgers, and anything to do with the color peach. Outside of class, you can either catch her eating while attempting to study or just eating in general. Follow her on Instagram @elenamika.