Gainesville Fashion Week: Catwalk Fever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Two words that spark any collegiette’s interest: Fashion Week.
What could be better than Gainesville Fashion Week, where we are actually given the opportunity to participate? On Sunday, veteran models and novices made their way to Neutral7 Signs & Graphics for the GFW 2012 casting call.

If the possibility of modeling in one of Gainesville’s hottest events was not tempting enough, a special promotion was extended to UF sorority chapters to sweeten the deal. Photo shoots and limo rides were promised to the sorority with the greatest attendance at the casting call, a deal that enticed a high turnout of potential models. There was also a model walking class provided earlier last week for girls to gain confidence in their catwalk prowess.

After being greeted by four team members and signing in, the Potential New Models had headshots and their measurements taken before demonstrating their walks for the veteran models and GFW team. Erin Kaplan, a sophomore accounting major with no prior modeling experience, said she “wanted to attend the casting call and just needed a little convincing to put herself out there.” The Assistant Producer of GFW, senior Kristi Desoiza, said that they are “very excited” and that “this year we started early and are getting a great response.” Desoiza also said that the GFW team wants models “to have a portfolio and feel confident enough to pursue modeling.”

The decisions will be sent via emails to the models for the second phase callbacks with the designers involved with GFW. Ultimately a panel comprised of the producers, directors and designers will make the final decisions by Feb. 15. Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back as well as the Gainesville Fashion Week team during this exciting time!

Photo Courtesy: Gainesville Fashion Week