Five Easy Spring and Summer Hairstyles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

This season’s hairstyle trends offer an array of looks that are quite simple to do and don’t involve much more than rolling out of bed and a few quick steps before you’re ready to go. From deep side parts to a high bun, try a more riskier hairstyle and have fun updating your ‘do.

Low Ponytail

Whether the look is messy chic or straight and sleek, low ponytails add a sophisticated twist to the classic staple. Add some volume by creating a bump on the crown of your head by slightly pushing the hair forward or by teasing the hair with a comb.

Loosely Woven Braids

A slightly disheveled finish is irresistibly cool when it comes to late summer nights partying with friends or heading to the beach. Turn to loosely woven hairstyles to create a bohemian feel on days when you want your hair up but are tired of ponytails. Heidi braids were popular on runways this year, with designers like Oscar de la Renta taking the look a step farther and weaving bits of fabric into the models hair for an extra pop of color.

If milkmaid inspired braids aren’t your style, try a simple tutorial for the Bohemian Descending Side Twist Braid here.

Extreme Side Parts

Switch up the center part from high school and follow designers like Lacoste and Angel in their nod to the extreme side part of the roaring 1920s. The dramatic divide emphasizes your face when paired with a low ponytail or chignon, so add a pop of color with summer-toned eye shadow or a bold lip color.

High Buns

To avoid the typical strict ballerina bun, don’t be afraid to get messy. The key to this look is all about volume and texture, and the French style of effortlessly swept up hair makes it the perfect accessory to anything in your closet. Blow-dry hair while tousling it with your hands, then use your fingers to rake it into a high ponytail at the top of your head. Tease the entire tail, twist it, and then wrap it into a loose bun, pinning it into place. Finish with a light mist of flexible-hold hair spray.

Headband Alternatives

For a new way to tame those unruly tresses in the mornings and on hot days, tie a brightly patterned scarf or solid color band around your hair in exchange for your go-to headband.