Fearless Indigenous Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Being Peruvian, I am a mestizo, which means that I am a mix of Spanish and indigenous ancestry. Though I rejected this indigenous heritage throughout my childhood, I have grown to embrace my indigenous background these past couple of years. I am proud that my grandparents spoke Quechua, I love my thick, voluminous black hair, and I embrace my brown skin. I think my hair looks best when I’m wearing braids, even though I was ashamed of how indigenous they looked when I was younger.

Oftentimes, when non-Latinos are asked about what famous Latinas they know of, they’ll answer with any number of glamorous celebrities, from Jennifer Lopez to Sofia Vergara. Although I love and admire both of these women, we Latinas are much more than this.

Here are some indigenous women we should all look up to:

1. Magaly Solier

Magaly is a Peruvian actress and singer who grew up in a family of Quechua farmers. When she was younger, her family and friends encouraged her to not speak Quechua in public because they thought she would be humiliated, but she paid them no mind and has since sung in Quechua. She lived through the troubling ‘80s decade in Peru that was filled with terrorism, but she took a stand against violence and fought to keep her community safe. This award-winning actress is not afraid of flaunting her indigenous roots wherever the spotlight takes her.

2. Rigoberta Menchú

Born in Guatemala to a peasant family, Rigoberta became involved in social reform activities from a young age. She became a prominent figure in the women’s rights movement in her country when she was just a teen. She has fought for Indian peasant peoples’ rights in her country and has become a leader of Indian Rights in the West. Menchú received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1992.

3. Nina Pacari Vega

Vega is an Ecuadorian indigenous women who is a Kichwa politician (Kichwa is a dialect spoken by the indigenous people in Ecuador). She also worked as a boss lawyer for Kichwa communities and was elected judge of the Supreme Court of Ecuador in May of 2007. The indigenous people who are part of her community have always come first for her, and Vega has done everything possible to serve them right.

5. Máxima Acuña

Acuña is a Peruvian weaver and farmer, who lives in a remote town in the North Highlands of the country. Máxima fought to protect the land she purchased from a mining company that was forcing her to leave her land. She faced violence and damage to her property when she refused to give up what was hers. Despite being almost sent to jail for “illegally squatting on their own land,” she received the Goldman Environmental Prize last year for her peaceful activism.  

Indigenous people are oftentimes seen as inferior because they have little to no education and because they speak an indigenous language. My grandmother did not want to learn Quechua because she had seen how her parents were discriminated against for speaking their native language. However, the indigenous population is hardworking and intelligent — especially the women. They work tirelessly to provide for their children and are brave leaders in their communities.

Photo credit: www.commondreams.org

Natalie Cardenas is a fourth year Political Science and Spanish major at the University of Florida. She is from Miami, so Spanglish is basically her first language. She enjoys watching Friends, obsessing over stationery, and lives in black leggings. This past summer she interned with Latina Magazine in NYC, and fell in love with the city life. She plans on booking a one way ticket to the Big Apple after graduation.