Style > Fashion

Fall Pieces to Spice Up Your Wardrobe and Where to Find Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Everything you need for your closet this fall and the brands to buy them from.

Although it doesn’t feel much like fall, cold weather will soon be headed our way, and we’ll have to trade in our summer wardrobes. If you’re like me, shorts and tank tops live rent-free in your closet, and you’re in desperate need of cold-weather options. There are tons of places to shop for fall clothes, but some are better than others in terms of quality and college-budget affordability. These are eight cool-weather essentials and the brands that sell them perfect for enhancing your wardrobe this fall. 

Fun pants

During warmer months, many people opt for basic bottoms (jean shorts for example) and statement tops. But in the fall, statement pants are just what you need to stand out. Fun pants can include unique patterns, shapes, textures, styles and more. Pattern pants pair great with basic, solid-colored tops, and they’re good for bringing color into an otherwise neutral outfit. Flare and baggy jeans and pants are trending this fall, and you don’t have to stray far from your comfort zone to incorporate them into your look. Trousers, cargo pants and other styles of jeans are also popular and can be found in a wide variety of stores. Cider carries a wide range of prints and styles anywhere from $30 to $40. Pacsun is a bit more expensive but worth checking out since they almost always have sales going on — and they have an extensive sale section. Princess Polly is the same way. Urban Outfitters carries in-style pants in lots of fun colors, but if none of these brands work, Amazon is always a good option too. 

Sweaters

Sweaters are a given during fall, especially as the weather cools off. They’re both cute and functional so you definitely need a few in your closet. And while stores like Pacsun, Hollister, H&M and Altar’d State have plenty of great sweaters, the best luck I’ve found is at thrift stores. Plato’s Closet is a personal favorite because it is close to campus and carries trendy clothing; they are selective about what they sell so most items there are of good quality and in style. Plato’s Closet also turns over items relatively quickly since they’re always buying new clothing, so you don’t have to wait for a drop for things to be released. And you can sell your old clothes to them while you’re at it. In terms of sweaters, though, Goodwill might be an arguably better option, especially if you like Grandpa and ugly sweaters. The men’s section is your friend, and the price and uniqueness of the sweaters here are enough to stand out. 

Matching athletic sets

Matching athletic sets are so convenient in college because of their comfort and versatility. Whether you’re hitting the gym between classes or not, athletic sets can be dressed casual or sporty and are good for long days of classes and cool walks. Athletic wear can be expensive, but you must know where to look. Halara, a brand that has recently exploded on TikTok, has everything from sports bras and leggings to skirts and athletic dresses (with shorts and pockets!) for everyday wear. Gymshark and Outdoor Voices are a bit more expensive, but the brands are trending gym essentials with lots of options online. If you’re looking to stay more within budget, Amazon and Target carry great dupes of the more expensive brands as well as their own line of clothing. Old Navy is often disregarded because it mostly caters to minivan moms, but don’t overlook their athletic section! Cotton On is similar; both brands carry great athletic sets for way less than some of the bigger brands. And finally, thrifting can be a good option, as well. Online thrifting platforms such as Depop, Mercari and Poshmark all have tons of discounted Lululemon, Nike and more, much of which is still brand new.

Jackets

Have cute fall tops but also must brave the cold when walking to class? Enter your new best friend: jackets. From layering cardigans to puffers to flannels, jackets can make a look and define your style. Puffer jackets layered with athletic sets are all the rage on Pinterest, and jackets with jeans are up there as well. For unique and vintage jackets, the thrift store is the place to go. Of course, Amazon is well-stocked in cute jackets, too. Zara also has plenty of good options. And, you might be surprised to know that Costco/Sam’s Club and Ross have a great selection at super affordable prices.

Skirts and dresses

Even when it gets cold, skirts and dresses are still must-haves in your fall wardrobe. Skirts and dresses are great because you can dress them up and down and they can be worn year-round; wear them on their own during the summer and spring and with tights or other layers in the fall and winter. My favorite place to find mini skirts and dresses is Princess Polly — I’ve found their sizing to be most accurate, which is important when ordering online. Other good places include Cider, Windsor, Altar’d State, Garage US and Hello Molly. 

Crewnecks

I love crewnecks. They make life so much easier and will forever be a closet staple no matter the weather. However, they can be really hard to find. Most of my favorite crewnecks and zip-ups are thrifted, mainly online, so I recommend using these online thrift sites to your advantage. But another platform great for finding cute crewnecks is the often-forgotten Etsy. Etsy sells a plethora of goods, but I like the crewnecks specifically because many of them can be customized and they’re a bit less generic than the Hanes ones you’ll find on Amazon. Be aware of shipping times though; they’re usually a bit longer than most retailers. Nike is another good place to find crewnecks, and their vintage sweatshirts are perfect for fall. Other stores include Levi’s (expensive but classic) and Target (Wild Fable wins again). 

Leggings

Other fall trends seem to come and go, but leggings have managed to stick around, and they remain a fall essential this season. Not only are leggings comfy and easy, but there’s also a lot to work with and they’re great for layering and styling. You can dress them down with a crewneck or up with a sweater, and you’ll look good no matter what. Obviously, Lululemon is known for their leggings, but not everyone can or wants to spend that much on a single pair of pants. Again, Amazon is a good alternative. One brand of leggings that I like especially is 90 Degree (which can be found on Amazon). Other good brands include Halara and Old Navy. And if you’re looking for the ever-popular flare leggings, you can try these stores or Pacsun and Hollister as well. 

Accessories

If you’re someone who loves jewelry and bags, outfits are rarely complete without the accessories. Depending on what you’re looking for, you can find accessories pretty much wherever you buy clothing. Amazon is on this list yet again, but you can also find accessories for cheap at Pacsun, Forever 21, Zara and Target. Also, be sure to check the sale section of clothing stores since accessories usually aren’t the main products being sought after, so stores try to get rid of them quickly when they don’t sell.

One of the best things about fall is the fashion and the opportunity to wear the clothes that have been waiting to shine all year (especially in Florida). So, if your fall wardrobe needs a refresh, try these brands and all the fun fall products they offer.

Grace McClung is a first-year journalism major at the University of Florida. She is from Denver, Colorado and loves poetry, running, and the beach.