Fall Makeup Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Now that September is in full swing, it’s time to ditch those vibrant hues from summer (or at least wear them less often) and embrace the moody shades of fall.

Dark reds, bold brows and fresh faces are all the rage on the runway, and the looks, for the most part, are surprisingly easy to rock. Sure, the deep reds might be a little intense for some, but sporting neutral brown eye shadows and feathering your brows looks great for day and night.

So check out the items we recommend you have in your makeup bag this season. Have fun experimenting with fun new trends!

Dark Red Lipstick
Fall is a time to embrace your deep dark fantasies, and by that I mean wearing lipstick that’s almost black. I know you’re thinking this can’t be a trend, but according to the likes of Gucci, Nina Ricci and Bottega Veneta, it’s a look that should be on your radar. Of course, not all of us will look good walking in to class like we just came from a ‘90s grunge show, but worn properly with the right clothes, this look can make a winning statement. Try deep reds or almost purple lipsticks to start off with and see what works best for your skin tone. Also, just in time for this trend to catch on, M.A.C Cosmetics released a new collaboration with Azealia Banks in the form of a deep purple lipstick called Yung Rapunxel. What better way to experiment than with a fun limited edition color?
M.A.C. Cyber, Media & Yung Rapunxel $15 available at maccosmetics.com

Bold Eyebrows
While some designers played up the eyebrows by adding glitter or color, what we’re talking about here is the simple but defined brow. Designers who did it best this season were Donna Karan and J. Mendel – they accentuated models’ faces by feathering and filling in brows. It’s important to start with a good base, so if you are too afraid to start doing your eyebrows on your own, you can always stop by a beauty salon and get them done professionally. However, for those who are willing to take matters in to their own hands or have a strong brow foundation, brands like Anastasia, Benefit and M.A.C. are good places to start. Brow gel from Anastasia is a great essential and comes in tints or clear, so if you have strong enough eyebrows on your own you can just use the clear gel to keep them in place. M.A.C. just collaborated with Carine Roitfeld, who is the queen of good eyebrows, so any brow-related piece from her makeup line is sure to be a hit. Finally, Benefit is known for its great work in the brow area from its brow bars in Sephoras to its amazing brow kits that can give you a professional look in your own home.
Eye Brows – M.A.C. $15, Anastasia Brow Gel $21, Benefit Brow Zings Kit $30

Brown Eye Shadows
Louis Vuitton and Burberry made dramatic statements in a nude tone this season with brown eye shadows. Experimenting with taupe, bronze and brown is a fun way to create contour with similar shades. Try Urban Decay’s Naked2 palette, which is full of great neutral colors that will get you started. However, if you’re looking for a cheaper option, Maybelline’s Color Tattoos often run about $7 and can be found on buy one, get one half off sales often. Some of the great colors from Maybelline are Tough as Taupe and Bad to the Bronze, the two are a great combination as one is a shimmer and the other more matte, and they can help you create a great wearable look.
Color tattoo $6.99, Urban Decay Naked2 Palette $50

Natural Skin
Although this trend is typically something we all aim for on a daily basis, designers showcased the natural skin look this fall with dewy makeup that was fresh and clean. Makeup on the fall runways often focused on a fresh face as a palette and then bold statements with the lips, brows and eyes. Dior, Valentino and Vera Wang showcased the natural beauty of their models, and to showcase your own natural beauty, try the new Urban Decay Naked Foundation or an endless list of BB Creams. BB Creams are the newest “it” item and often leave you with dewy skin that looks fresh and clean. Brands that make the creams range from Maybelline to Smashbox, but the Garnier one is often the dewiest and still provides a decent amount of coverage. I’m sure we all want to leave the house looking like we naturally have great skin, but with these products, they’ll give you just enough cover up to let your natural beauty shine through.
Urban Decay Naked Foundation $38, Garnier Skin Renew Miracle Skin Perfector BB Cream $12.99

Credit: all photos from maccosmetics.com, sephora.com and drugstore.com.