This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

After having its season one premiere in June of 2019, the show Euphoria became a worldwide sensation. Unfortunately, due to Covid, the second season was pushed back for over two years. Finally, fans were able to witness the rebirth of the show on Jan 9. So far, we have been able to see just four episodes, with each one more exciting than the last. 

When the second season premiered, the public reaction actually ended up crashing the HBO Max platform. My friends and I were unable to get on the app due to this surge of viewers, but luckily it was fixed very quickly. After the premiere, it was reported that this was the strongest digital premiere of any show on HBO Max. HBO also said the premiere drew in 13.1 million viewers, which shows a more than 100% growth rate from the season one premiere in 2019. This is massive growth and marks a new era for the already popular show. 

The growth of the show is obviously a direct correlation with its extreme popularity. Euphoria has also opened itself up to a wider audience, thanks to Zendaya’s win at the Emmys for best actress in a drama series in 2020, which made her the youngest woman to win this award. A win at this level gained the attention of many people who might have just previously brushed Euphoria off as a show for teenagers. 

This second season will feature eight episodes just like the first season, which means we are already halfway done. At this halfway point, it has become clear that the show has taken a much darker tone. As the characters get older, they begin to make even more chaotic and dangerous decisions, which makes each episode feel like a stressful journey. 

What’s changed?

In this new season, we see the inclusion of a new main character, who is played by singer Dominic Fike. Fike is making his acting debut with the character of Elliot, who is first introduced to us in the premiere through Rue (played by Zendaya). Elliot soon develops a friendship with Jules (played by Hunter Schafer) as well, which leads to a complicated dynamic between the trio. He is still fairly new to the show, but his inclusion is sure to cause additional jealousy and tension amongst Rue and Jules. 

Lexi Howard (played by Maude Apatow) is a character from season one who has gotten a much more developed plotline in this second season. So far, we have been able to learn more about her tumultuous relationship with her sister and her inner anxieties. Her development seems to be leading toward a performance of the play she is working on, which will definitely upset Cassie (played by Sydney Sweeney). Fans are also very excited by the new romance between her and Fez (played by Angus Cloud), as they are both beloved characters. 

As the show has gone on, it has gotten progressively more violent and dark. The first season was much more of an introductory look into the lives of these characters, while the second season is a mixture of each person’s complex lifestyles. Rue, especially, has undergone some of the most brutal transformations, as she slips deeper into her addiction and interacts with dangerous outsiders. The lack of stability and trust is hyper prevalent this season, as it seems like the characters cannot rely on anyone else for help. 

The clothing in this season also stands out, as it portrays a new side to the characters. Fashion was a large part of the first season, but the vibe was more purples and sparkles, which has shifted towards darker tones for the second season. Maddy (played by Alexa Demi) was known for her standout looks and eye makeup, whereas she is now more classic and simpler. Although her clothing is still very eye-catching, she is frequently seen in simple slip dresses or black sets. The makeup of this season has gone through a change as well, which can be seen in director Sam Levinson’s plea for no foundation to be used this season. The cast members are seen in their natural, dewy skin, which highlights their youth while still standing out on screen. The makeup is simpler and more refined, with some subtle hints of eyeliner and jewels. 

The impact of social media

When a new Euphoria episode airs on Sunday at 9 p.m., social media is flooded with memes and reactions to the episode. If you miss the episode, it will be impossible to not encounter some spoilers on sites such as Twitter and TikTok. Many people like to analyze and argue about the characters’ choices, which creates increased discourse and encourages repeated viewership. Angus Cloud has used his platform to chat about the episodes as they premiere live. The use of social media for these purposes encourages active viewers, as people feel pressured to join in on what they see on social media. 

Although we are only halfway through this season it seems like it cannot get any more dramatic, which is sure to make for an interesting next few episodes! Euphoria can be a disturbing and triggering show, but it is also a very unique portrayal of the feelings and thought processes of this group of young people, which is why it continues to surpass all expectations. 

Minna is an English major at the University of Florida. She is a features editor for Her Campus UFL.