DIY Desserts: A Post-Spring Break Sweet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Though we have traded our Spring Break flip-flops, warm days at the beach and teal ocean waters for creeping deadlines, lack of sleep and exams, even just one bite of these Pina Colada Dessert Squares from Pillsbury.com will take you back to the stress-free, fun-in-the-sun days. Whether you indulge in these tropical bites with your girlfriends after lunch, use them to impress your crush or share them with your study-buddies, these crunchy sweets will definitely give you the boost you need and make you dream of the soon-approaching summer days.

Every break needs a little sunscreen, a two-piece bathing suit and a beach ball (Ingredients)

Crust:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2  cup margarine or butter
3/4  cup flaked coconut
1/2  cup sliced almonds

Filling:
1 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese, softened
1/2 pint (1 cup) whipping cream
2/3 cup milk
1 (3.4 oz.) package of instant coconut cream pudding and pie filling mix
1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple in unsweetened juice, undrained
2 tablespoons rum

Ways to make these tasty flips end your deadline flops (Directions)

1. After preheating the oven to 350°F, scoop and level off the flour into a measuring cup. In a medium bowl, combine and mix the flour and brown sugar. With a fork or pastry blender, cut in the margarine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Then, stir in flaked coconut and sliced almonds, and sprinkle the finished mixture evenly on an ungreased 13 x 9-inch pan.

2. Bake the crumbs at 350°F for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown, stirring twice. When complete, save half a cup of the baked crumbs for the topping. With a fork, press the remaining crumbs evenly on the bottom of the pan. Cool the crunchy pieces 20 minutes or until they are completely cooled.

3. Meanwhile, beat cream cheese until smooth in a large bowl. Gradually add and beat in whipping cream. After adding milk and pudding mix, beat the mixture at high speed for about 2 minutes or until it is slightly thickened. Stir in the pineapple and rum. When finished, pour and spread evenly the mixture over cooled crust. Sprinkle the creamy delight with the half a cup of crumbs you had saved in step 2. Cover the finished dessert and refrigerate it for at least 6 hours or until serving time. When serving, cut it into squares.

I am a third-year journalism student at the University of Florida. This is my second year writing for Her Campus.