DIY Desserts: Minty Wonder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

With the first days of November already behind you, it’s time to get into the holiday spirit! Use this peppermint meringues recipe from womansday.com (http://www.womansday.com/Recipes/Peppermint-Meringues-Recipe.html) to create delicious minty treats that are bound to get you even more excited for the chilly days ahead. Even though we live in Florida and don’t get to see much snow even during the shortest days of the year, there’s no reason to not indulge in “snow-covered” treats. For a more Christmas-y look, add green food coloring in half the icing and red in the other half!

A little icing for your chilly days (Ingredients)

3 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
24 small chocolate peppermint candies (such as York Peppermint Patties)
Optional: Red and green food coloring

Even making a snowman takes some steps (Directions)

1. Preheat your oven to 250°F. Use parchment paper to line two large baking sheets.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. Gradually add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating until incorporated. Continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form (this should take 2 to 3 minutes). Beat in the vanilla.
3. Spoon 24 level tablespoons of the meringue onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 2 in. apart. Place 1 peppermint candy in the center of each meringue and press it down very slightly. Top each peppermint candy with another tablespoon meringue, spreading it over the candy to completely cover and seal it in.
4. Bake until the meringues are firm and dry (60 to 70 minutes). Let cool and enjoy!

I am a third-year journalism student at the University of Florida. This is my second year writing for Her Campus.