DIY Desserts: Mardi Gras

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Though Mardi Gras was a couple of days ago, there’s no reason a great New Orleans dessert can’t keep the fun going for a few more days.

Always one of the favorites at the celebration, this Bananas Foster recipe from baking.about.com http://baking.about.com/od/piesandfruiteddesserts/r/bananasfoster.htm, is sure to leave your taste buds satisfied and feeling sweet even after the Fat Tuesday party wears away.

Share it with friends, and definitely keep this three-step recipe in your cookbook because it’s a tradition you’ll be dying to cook next year.

Every Mardi Gras needs beads (Ingredients)

– 4 tablespoons butter
– 4 tablespoons brown sugar
– 2 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced lengthwise (baby bananas will give you the sweetest and most tender taste)
– 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
– 2 tablespoons banana liqueur
– 3 ounces rum, light or dark
– 1 and 1/2 cups vanilla ice cream

Melt, pour and serve (Directions)

1) Melt the butter in a skillet (for best results use a thin skillet for crepes). Add in spoons of sugar and stir the mixture until it’s melted. Then, add bananas and sauté the fruit for about 3 minutes or until it is tender. Sweeten the mixture even more by sprinkling on cinnamon.

2) Pour the banana liqueur and the rum over the entire mixture, and stir while it cooks. Very carefully ignite the pan, to better infuse the bananas with the liqueur flavor. Using a spoon, cover the bananas with liquid until the fire dies out.

3) For best results, immediately serve the mixture over ice cream.

I am a third-year journalism student at the University of Florida. This is my second year writing for Her Campus.