DIY Desserts: The Last Taste of Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As the make-you-sweat-to-class days hopefully fade behind us, take advantage of the heat one last time. Reward yourself with an icy treat between your busy school schedule and all those meetings you have lined up for the next decade. Use this recipe from womansday.com to create an unusual twist on the s’mores dessert you’ve loved since childhood. The Frozen Coconut S’mores recipe is simple enough to make, though you do need at least six hours to successfully make your dessert frosty. Just combine this short list of ingredients, and cool your friends’ days too!

Snowflakes for your summer (ingredients):

6 to 8 graham crackers (the entire rectangle)
– 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
– 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped, plus more shaved, for serving
– 3 large egg whites
– 2 tablespoons sugar
– 1/2 cup cream of coconut (not coconut milk)

Every summer getaway needs a plan (directions):

1. Line the bottom of a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides. Place graham crackers in the bottom of the pan, cutting them and placing them so there are least possible cracks (the mixture in the next step will leak to the bottom of the pan if this step is not done correctly).

2. Heat 1/3 cup of heavy cream in a small saucepan until it barely begins to simmer; remove from heat. Add the chopped chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Spread the chocolate mixture evenly over the graham crackers. Freeze for 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites in a large bowl until frothy. Gradually add the sugar and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form; set aside. In a separate large bowl, use the electric mixer (no need to clean the beaters) to beat the cream of coconut and the remaining cup of heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Combine the egg whites into the coconut-cream mixture until fully mixed.

4. Spread the coconut mixture evenly over the chilled chocolate, then cover the pan and put it in a freezer, leaving it there anywhere from six hours to two days. When you are ready to serve the chilly delight, lift the dessert out of the pan by grabbing the overhang parchment paper and place the treat on a cutting board. Finally, cut it into 32 bars (or larger pieces if you’ve had a REALLY long week) and top it with shaved chocolate (if you are short with time, use Nesquik powder).

I am a third-year journalism student at the University of Florida. This is my second year writing for Her Campus.