DIY Desserts: Game Day Brownies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Even though the first football game of the don’t-know-what-to-expect season is already behind us, it isn’t too late for a football-hyped dessert to make your pre-game an even sweeter event!

Use this simple recipe from epicurious.com to make delicious Fudgy Coffee Brownies, but use your imagination (and somewhat over-the-top Gator obsession) to shape them in a football inspired theme. Use cookie cutters to make footballs, Gator heads and Gator letters. Try creating two batches and making one of them, with the help of some green and white icing, into a football field.

Your friends will be cheering for you, too after you score major points for this dessert!

Every player needs his gear. Here are your ingredients:

2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter
5 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 tablespoons instant-espresso powder
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
5 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
Icing (colors such as white, green, orange and blue to help with your decoration)

One yard closer to your sweetest touchdown. Follow these directions:

-Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Butter and flour a 13- by 9-inch baking pan.

-Melt the butter and chocolate with espresso powder in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over low heat, whisking until smooth. Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm. Whisk in sugar and vanilla. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time until mixture is glossy and smooth.

-Whisk together flour, cinnamon and salt, then whisk into chocolate mixture.

-Spread batter in pan and bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with crumbs adhering, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.

I am a third-year journalism student at the University of Florida. This is my second year writing for Her Campus.