DIY Desserts: Espresso Mini Cakes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As school starts up again, we’ll all definitely need help getting back into our early-class routine. What better way to get back in the multi-tasking mood than with these Espresso Filled Mini Cakes from hersheys.com? They’re certain to give you the morning boost you need.

Include them as part of your breakfast, a snack or use them for any other eating excuse … these sweet, creamy delights will surely leave you wanting more!

Every morning buzzer needs some batteries (Ingredients):

Mini cakes (about 14)
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Espresso cream filling
1 cup cold whipping cream
¼ cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons powdered instant espresso( or powdered instant coffee)

Cocoa glaze
?1/2 cup whipping cream
?1-1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
?1/2 cup Hershey’s Cocoa?
1/2 cup sugar?
1 tablespoon butter?
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract??

Steps to your espresso filled wonder (Directions):

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour 14 6-ounce custard cups.

2. Combine and stir sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add in eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, and then mix on medium speed with a mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in water, making the batter thinner. After you have finished mixing all the ingredients, fill each prepared cup with 1/2 cup batter. Place custard cups on cookie sheet or place them in a cupcake mold sheet.

3. Bake the mixture for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a single cake comes out clean. Cool the goodies for five minutes on wire racks, and then remove the chocolate mini cakes from cups. Cool completely so that the filling later added doesn’t melt from the hot temperature.

4. Meanwhile, combine 1 cup (1/2 pt.) cold whipping cream, 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons powdered instant espresso (or powdered instant coffee) in small bowl for the filling. Beat until stiff.

5. Cut each mini cake horizontally about 1 inch from the top and then spread the filing on each bottom slice of the cakes. When each cake has been frosted, place the other half of the cakes on top.

6. For the glaze, mix together remaining whipping cream and corn syrup in a small saucepan. Stir together cocoa and sugar in a small bowl and then add to the cream mixture, stirring. Add butter, and cook over low heat, stirring, until butter melts and mixture is smooth. Do not boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool to desired consistency.

7. Finally, drizzle the cupcakes with the cocoa glaze. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve them.

I am a third-year journalism student at the University of Florida. This is my second year writing for Her Campus.