This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Self-love pisses me off. Not because I don’t like it, but because nobody tells you how to do it. I swear to God if I see another “love yourself” sticker, I’m going to flip. It’s confusing. Like what is that asking you to do?

So many people I know struggle with self-love because the messages society presents imply that self-love is just something that happens and that everyone should inherently feel. It’s like getting a depressed person a “be happy” mug. If you think that did something, you are delusional. All this does is make people who are not yet at that point feel isolated and perplexed.

Well, that’s not what I’m here to do. From my studies in the field of sex and relationships and from the perspective of a woman who is madly in love with herself, I am going to give you my key to success.

Date yourself.

Be everything you could ever want in a romantic partner. Now this isn’t the same feeling as having a partner, but it is a different and uniquely satisfying one.

True love has never just been a feeling; it is action. And not just a one-time show of affection, but rather a constant dedication. So, when you hear “love yourself,” you have to pour love into yourself the way you would want a romantic partner to.

Take yourself on a date every week. I encourage you to pursue your dreams. Write a love note complimenting everything you admire about yourself. Be kind; don’t rag on your little mistakes. Make an album with all your favorite pictures of yourself and just admire how hot you are. Have some spicy sex with yourself. Hype up your accomplishments out loud and publicly. Celebrate you! Put on a cute outfit when nobody is around to impress yourself. And in the spirit of Miley Cyrus, buy yourself flowers.

I don’t know the key to happiness for everyone. But at the end of every one of my days, it was a good day because I get to spend every second with someone I love: Me! I’m awesome. And I don’t know that because a man told me, because of a grade or because a sequenced pillow told me to love myself. I know that because I have taken the time and put in the work to romantically fall in love with every part of myself.

You are probably awesome too, so if you haven’t already, start treating yourself like it!

Ginger is a third-year Journalism major with a minor and specialty in Theories and politics of Sexuality. Ginger is passionate about fun and honest sex education and hopes to spread sex positivity via mass media. In her free time, Ginger runs a nail art account @ginger_does_nails and is always trying something new with her sorority sisters!