Create Your Own Holiday Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

‘Tis the season to be merry! While we love our holiday treats at Starbucks, our bank accounts can’t always handle our sweet tooth for Peppermint Mochas.

Here are a few holiday drinks you can make yourself instead of paying more than $4 for one at a chain coffee shop. 

Peppermint Mocha

¼ cup sugar
¼ cup water
¼ teaspoon peppermint abstract
3 tablespoons powdered cocoa
3 tablespoons warm water
½ cup hot espresso
1 ½ cups hot milk

After you have all the ingredients, take the water and sugar and stir them in a saucepan until the sugar completely dissolves and boils. Let it simmer at low and add the peppermint extract. Allow mixture to simmer for 20 minutes. Then mix the cocoa and water until a paste forms. Add the espresso and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the peppermint syrup. Finally, add the milk and serve hot.

Read more at http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/12/02/diy-starbucks-seasonal-drinks/#ixzz1fPyxPccH

Eggnog Latte

½ cup eggnog
¼ cup whole milk
1-2 shots espresso
Sprinkle of nutmeg garnish

First combine the cold eggnog with cold milk and steam. Then add the espresso shots to the mixture and sprinkle with nutmeg. Enjoy!

Pumpkin Spice Latte

2 cups milk
2 tablespoons canned pumpkin OR 1 teaspoon of pumpkin spice syrup
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1-2 shots espresso

First combine milk, pumpkin and sugar in a saucepan on medium heat. Stir until it steams. Then remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and spice and transfer to a blender. Blend for 15 seconds until foamy. If you don’t have a blender, use a whisk. Once foamy, pour it in a mug, and add the espresso.

These drinks will keep you warm over the winter for a cheap price! Don’t forget to add whip cream to any of them for some extra decadence and sprinkle nutmeg or cinnamon spices on top!