The Crafty Gator: DIY Dorm Room Calendars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s back to school time again, and I’m sure everyone’s schedules are starting to pick up. One of my favorite things to do is write in my planner to get organized. Of course, planners are amazing for taking with you to class or on-the-go, but what about organization in your dorm or apartment? It gets a little annoying to go find your planner (wherever it is), and then, you sometimes forget to put it back, and your life is pretty much over when you try to write down a class assignment later. A quick fix is to have a cute calendar in your room, which can add to the overall feel and décor! Here are two options for organization that I absolutely adore:

Monthly Calendar Supplies:

First, you need to measure your paint strip squares and cut them to 2.5 X 2.5”. Place all of the squares out on the frame leaving 2.25” at the top for the month and days of the week to be written. Also, leave 1/8” in between each paint strip vertically and horizontally (per 16 X 20” frame). I chose seven different shades of one color per week, and I used five different colors on the calendar to make it more fun, so there is a total of 35 squares. Start mod podging each paint strip to one piece of the glass in the floating frame. Take a sharpie and write the days of the week above the respective paint strips. Place the other piece of glass on top of the mod podged glass, and put the frame back together. Now, your monthly calendar is ready to go, and all you need is a dry erase marker to start writing all of your school, work, or social events!

Weekly Calendar Supplies:

First, you need to decide which way each paper looks best since the collage frame has half horizontal and half vertical frames. Next, choose which paper you want to use for each day of the week (I used the first frame for a weekly to do list before listing all of the days of the week). Next, use your pencil and ruler to create a 5×7 rectangle on each piece of paper and cut them out. Use the paintbrush and mod podge to adhere the scrapbook paper to the back of the frame. Then, use more mod podge to seal the top and smooth out any bumps for a clean look. Wipe the glass down with some Windex, and you’re good to go! Get your dry erase marker out, and start planning for a successful fall semester.

Happy crafting (and organizing)!

XO, 
The Crafty Gator

Photo Credit: 
joanns.com

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.