Cosmetics: To Splurge or Not to Splurge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Besides shoes, handbags and boys, girls love makeup. Sure, some might love it more than others, but we all love having our go-to eye shadow palette and our favorite lip-gloss and mascara. When your wallet starts to hate you because of your huge spending — especially during the holiday season — you might want to reconsider how much you’re actually spending on your favorite makeup.

During a season that is so hard on your wallet, you’ll want to take the time to figure out which makeup products are worth investing in and which ones you can save money on. Thankfully, Her Campus UFL has the ultimate guide to buying makeup that would help keep your budget. Here’s your list.

What to Splurge On

Makeup brushes

Good makeup brushes are essential, so why not have the best set of brushes in town? Makeup brushes have different feels to them, so you have to be choosy. Some of the inexpensive ones tend to feel tough for the skin, so trust your instinct and splurge on good brushes. You will use these every time you put your makeup, so make the investment. Investing in a good set of brushes is a smart idea, most importantly, because they will last a really long time. Just remember to clean them often so the quality holds up for years to come.

Primer & Foundation

These two items are required to keep your makeup in place, so splurging on a good brand is a good decision. You don’t want the makeup you spent a lot of time applying to vanish before you even step out of your bedroom. Some foundation and primer brands tend to be heavy on your face, so make sure you find one that you’re comfortable in and is the best for your skin type.

Lipstick

Not all things were created equally, including lipstick. Lipstick colors are not the same across brands and you have to search really hard to finally find the perfect shade. It’s good to find the right shade for your skin color, and in order to do so, you have to be willing to cough up a few more bucks. The bright side? It will last you a very long time. Inexpensive brands tend to feel heavy on the lips and can even make them dry. Find a lipstick that will keep your pout moisturized, nourished and an awesome color that will make you feel more confident and more radiant. The best lipstick will compliment your outfit and face.

What to Save On

Eye shadows

The look and texture of eye shadows across brands are usually the same. Aside from your cream eye shadow vs. powder eye shadow debate, most of the eye shadows out there will give you the same effect, no matter the brand. Most pharmacy stores even have better colors than those you’ll find in the department stores. And since you’ll probably want a variation of colors, choosing cheaper options will be a better bang for your buck instead of the $30 eye shadow palette of which you only really like two of the five colors.

Blushes

Blushes look good no matter the brand just because you don’t really put too much on anyway. Your everyday pharmaceutical store is more likely to have a varied selection than high-end cosmetics shops, so don’t be choosy and save on this!

Eyeliners

As long as you know how to put a great winged line, you’re good to go, so save yourself a couple of dollars by shopping for eyeliners at your favorite pharmaceutical store. Most eyeliners look very similar and you could definitely save money whether you like pencil or liquid liners. Look in your favorite stores for inexpensive brands and you’ll have a liner equivalent to the pros.

Karina Cuevas is currently enrolled as a freshman at the University of Florida, Class of 2014, as a Journalism and Political Science double-major and a German and Business Administration double-minor. Born in New York, she moved to Orlando, Florida with her family 6 years ago and is now residing in Gainesville, Florida, thus experiencing life in both urban and rural areas. When she isn't watching E!, obsessing over Gossip Girl, working part-time at Hollister, singing along to Taylor Swift's songs, shopping, or baking, Karina enjoys journaling, taking photos around campus, and spending time with her friends and family. Because she's interested in fashion, music and journalism, after college Karina hopes to move back to New York City and land a job at a prominent magazine. (Because magazines aren't dead.) ♥