College Probz: An Ode to the WUFT Newsroom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The WUFT newsroom:

A place where news breaks out, dreams become reality and where people find their niche in the journalism world. This newsroom has been my home for the past two years, and I knew before I graduated I wanted to write a piece in dedication to UF’s Innovative News Center.

As an aspiring multimedia journalist, the world of news has taken an interesting spin since the 2016 presidential election. With the phrase “fake news” being thrown around far more than it should be, it can be hard to stay true and confident in your journalistic capabilities. However, it is important to remember that, as a journalist, the news is constantly evolving and so are you. The WUFT Newsroom has provided me with a safe space to grow into the multimedia journalist I’ve always wanted to become. Although there were a few screw-ups, it only made the road to success ten times sweeter. When I first got involved with WUFT, I felt like the tiniest ant being stared at through a gigantic magnifying glass. Eventually, I became more and more comfortable as the weeks went on and as I showed my news managers what I was capable of. I’m here to share with all my WUFT newbies that you shouldn’t be afraid of the newsroom or think you’re not good enough to do anything new or courageous in the newsroom. Here are a few helpful handy tips that you should use as you make the WUFT newsroom your new home.

1). Learn everything

Want to be a reporter? Yeah, that’s cool and all, but what is a reporter without a producer, director or control room crew? While you’re developing your craft as an aspiring reporter there is no harm in learning how to direct a show or produce a segment. Learning as many positions and roles in the newsroom will give you an overall broader view of how the whole newscast works.

2. Connections are key

Don’t be shy about saying hello to people in the newsroom because you never know who is going to help you out or hook it up with a connection. Your news managers, directors and any mentor in the newsroom is always there to help, but instead of just going to them for your shift or assignment, make that connection with them as well. Don’t be afraid to say hello and actually get to know who you are going to be working with the next four years of your college career.

3. Make Mistakes

Let me tell you right now, you will make many mistakes, and it is perfectly normal. Everyone in the newsroom makes plenty of mistakes, but the beauty of making a mistake is that it will never happen again after the initial first time. So, go ahead, and make those mistakes now, so you can learn and grow from them. These mistakes can also benefit your colleagues in the newsroom as well. By advising them from the mistakes that you’ve made, you’re also benefiting the newsroom as a whole.

I hope this little impromptu guide helps all my fellow gators trying to make it in the news world. I believe in all of you and wish you the best of luck.

Signing off with the WUFT newsroom, Alex Ciccarone WUFT News.

Photo Credit: Giphy.com

Alex Ciccarone