College Cooking: Spring Risotto

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Stir your way into spring with this delicious for your tummy, light on your wallet Spring Risotto. This quick meal, from myrecipes.com, uses the in-season asparagus and has only 14.2 grams of fat (out of the daily 65 gram limit).

This both economically and nutritionally efficient meal will leave you with a bill of only $2.40 per serving and 350 calories from the daily 2,000 calorie recommendation. Rich in fiber and iron, this light risotto will destroy those mid-day, awkward stomach growls and leave you ready to tackle the end-of-semester deadlines.

Total: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients

• 1  pound  asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
  • 1 3/4  cups  fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 2  tablespoons  olive oil
  • 1 1/2  cups  chopped onion
  • 2  garlic cloves, minced
  • 1  cup  uncooked Arborio rice
  • 1  cup  frozen shelled edamame
  • 3/4  teaspoon  kosher salt
  • 1/4  cup  1/3-less-fat cream cheese
  • 1/2  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
  • 1  ounce  shaved Parmesan cheese
  • 2  tablespoons  chopped fresh thyme

Preparation
1. Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a saucepan. Add asparagus, and cook for 2 minutes. Drain. Bring 2 cups water and chicken broth to a simmer in a saucepan.

2. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil, and swirl to coat. Add onion; cook 4 minutes. Add garlic, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in rice, edamame, and salt; cook for 1 minute. Stir in 1 cup broth mixture; cook for 4 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until liquid is absorbed before adding more (about 20 minutes total).

3. Stir in asparagus, cream cheese, and pepper; cook 1 minute. Spoon 1 cup risotto into each of 4 bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese; sprinkle evenly with thyme.

I am a third-year journalism student at the University of Florida. This is my second year writing for Her Campus.
Hola! My name is Victoria and it is a pleasure to meet you. I was born and raised in Key West, Fla. Surprisingly; people do actually live there. I'm a fourth year journalism student at the University of Florida, and I am obsessed with food. I watch ungodly amounts of the Food Network. I love to dance, write and swim to my hearts content. I don't know what I would do without my Crackberry and listening to the Silversun Pickups makes me sane.