carrie bradshaw i live here
carrie bradshaw i live here
New Line Cinema

Carrie Bradshaw wants YOU to vote!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Baby’s first blue ballot

While filming in New York City for “And Just Like That…” the follow-up to the infamous “Sex and the City,” the star columnist Carrie Bradshaw finally made her first political – and fashion – statement, through a strategically placed tote bag. 

In black sharpie over bright pink slabs on her Bloomsbury Publishing bag, read the names of contenders in the 2022 U.S. midterm election.

The New York City notable name-dropped democratic candidates, Tim Ryan (OH), Val Demmings (FL) – gator voters, take special notice – Catherine Cortez Masto (NV), Beto O’ Rourke (TX), Michael Bennet (CO) and Lauren Underwood (IL).

This endorsement is a far stretch from the actions of the beloved Bradshaw circa 1990-something. In the “Sex and the City” episode, “Politically Erect,” Bradshaw shows wan support for politician and beau, Bill Kelley, who was on the campaign trail amid their 3-week-old rendezvous.

During the episode, when pressed with a tacky “Go Kelley” button, Bradshaw quickly removes it and uses a licked finger to smooth down any impropriety done to her Jackie Kennedy-esque vintage Halston uniform.

So, taping over a precious piece of her perfectly curated OOTD is a BIG deal for Bradshaw.

Though the tote/vote bag was Bradshaw’s first Manolo Blahnik-toed step into the political sphere, Sarah Jessica Parker – Carrie’s IRL counterpart – has had her fair share of political involvement.

Parker was in an ad promoting the re-election of President Obama in 2012, in which she named some of the president’s notable accomplishments during his four-year term.

In 2019, Parker was seen attending a rally in Washington Square Park for Senator Elizabeth Warren, who was in the race for the Democratic nomination for the 2020 presidential election.

On Oct. 30, she took to her Instagram to post a picture of her absentee sticker with NYC memorabilia littering the background.

So, it looks like both Carrie Bradshaw and SJP are making a point to get political this election season.

And, hey – maybe because Bradshaw says vote blue! you should too…

Regardless of your political affiliation, find your way to the polls Nov. 8.

Jillian is a fourth-year public relations major with a minor in women's studies. You can find her sitting in her bedroom under a mirrorball listening to Taylor Swift, sipping iced coffee, and contemplating which seemingly mundane moments of life to add to her many drafts; maybe you’ll show up in her writing one day. You can reach her at @jillygabrielle on Instagram for more info.