Caroline’s Favorite Things: Apple, J.K. Rowling, and Lights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

1. Apple iPad mini:

Apple has done it again! Just when you thought you already had all of the top Apple gadgets on the market, they hit you with another doohickey! The new Apple iPad mini hasn’t received much attention other than coming up on the home page of our MacBooks. This is understandable considering it is essentially just a smaller version of something the world has already seen. However, I happen to be an Apple junkie and just couldn’t help sharing it with you, and here is why:

I have an iPad, and I absolutely love it. I bring it to class to take notes, and I keep it by my bed for almost all of my leisurely Internet surfing. The most successful aspect of this tablet is its weight and sensitive touch screen technology. It is a more of a convenience than most people realize to have the entire World Wide Web at your fingertips without having a hot, heavy computer sitting on your lap eating up some major battery. However, if I’m really being a spoiled Apple user, I would argue that iPads do not fit in small purses and… well that’s really it.

It’s true, the iPad mini and the iPad functionally are the same in every way but size. Apple still felt there was a void in the market for a smaller tablet, and I have to agree. Only 7.9 inches wide, the iPad mini is easier to keep on your person; therefore, there is a greater propensity for owners to use it. Not to mention it is essentially a computer that can be used and held in one hand, which in today’s tech world is equivalent to a phone that can talk back to you. Oh wait…

Apple iPad minis start at $329 on Apple.com.

2. J.K. Rowling’s “Casual Vacancy”:

I know I am not the only one who is having “Harry Potter” withdrawals. J. K. Rowling’s books were literally and figuratively a magical world. And now that both the books and movies are over, I am struggling to find another series to distract me from studying Anatomy. However, J. K. Rowling’s new book, “Casual Vacancy” is currently No. 3 on the New York Times Bestseller list, and I am eager to get my hands on it.

“Casual Vacancy” is geared towards a more sophisticated audience, and it is about a community of people who must deal with the death of a local citizen. This novel addresses themes involving political scandal and social issues like rape and child abuse. Obviously this storyline may not be as light-hearted as potions and spells, but J. K. Rowling’s résumé certainly has me interested in any novel she creates.

J. K. Rowling’s “Casual Vacancy” can be found at your local bookstore.

3. Indoor Christmas lights:

My favorite time of the year is quickly approaching! The weather is cooling down, the pumpkin spice latte is back at Starbucks, and twinkle lights will soon be lighting up the neighborhoods. Growing up, my dad would take the family driving around neighborhoods, and we would point out the houses with the most impressive front lawns. I am sure many of you may be wondering where I am going with this thought considering most of you are students living in apartments and dorms. Outdoor lighting may not be an option for spreading Christmas cheer. My solution? Bring the outdoors inside.

Everyone has their own holiday traditions, and for me, Christmas without Christmas lights means a sad holiday season. Last year, my roommate and I bought the cheapest set of twinkle lights we could find at a local convenience store and used thumbtacks to adorn the walls. The result was fun and festive, and it gave us that home-sweet-home feeling we were longing for while trying to get through final exams.

Sometimes all you need is a little essence of home to keep you going. I encourage all of you to draw upon your favorite memories of the holiday season, and treat yourselves to something special. Whether it be a pumpkin scented candle, some eggnog in the fridge, or a wreath on your front door; sometimes the Martha Stewart touch can really be a mood-changer.

There is no need to get fancy! Stop by your local Target or Wal-Mart to get in your holiday decorating fix!