This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

For many years now, fast fashion has been huge, with seemingly a million new it-brands popping up each day.  The clothes are cheap, which might allow you to buy a huge quantity of them, but at the end of the day they fall apart after a few wears. This leads to huge amounts of clothing waste, both as the need for more clothing increases, and thus ramps up demand for fast fashion – which not only harms small businesses and ethical production, but the planet as well.

Supporting fast fashion often means your clothes fall out of the current trend quicker than they deteriorate (which is already alarmingly fast). Rather than continuing an outdated practice rooted in consumerism, cool girls are turning to capsule wardrobes that emphasize wearability and high-quality pieces over a large closet full of tacky, cheaply made pieces that you’ll wear twice at the most. These capsule wardrobes can range widely in what they contain and the pieces you select, but that makes tailoring one to your own life and tastes all the simpler.

Not only are capsule wardrobes better for your wallet and the environment, but they also make getting dressed in the morning a lot easier and will help you create more cohesive outfits perfect for any occasion. With a few high-quality basic items chosen skillfully, you can create thousands of different outfits that are sleek, simple but overall put-together.

While everyone’s capsule wardrobe might look a bit different depending on where they live and what they do in life, they typically range from seven to maybe fifteen basic pieces, though they can vary. You can make your capsule wardrobe as large or as small as you want, as specialized or general as you want – that’s the beauty of them! They are truly customizable for every person and every walk of life. Though they can be anything you want, here are a few items that are hallmarks of a typical capsule wardrobe:

Base Tees/Tanks

Investing in a few high-quality base layer t-shirts, tank tops and bodysuits are a good foundation for any capsule wardrobe. I like to have black, white and maybe a color or two. They can be dressed up with certain accessories and bottoms or dressed down for casual wear. Nice fabrics and tops that fit well will never go out of style and are perfect for practically every occasion imaginable.

Jacket

A great leather jacket is a staple in my capsule wardrobe, though any jacket will do. Something to keep you warm is essential, and for me this is the piece I’m most willing to invest in. A good leather jacket will retain its beauty for years to come, though there are so many other options for a jacket if leather isn’t your style. The biggest thing to look for here is something in a neutral color that can work for many different occasions.

Jeans

A pair of well-fitting jeans that are comfortable to wear are a must. Jeans are truly the most versatile and wearable piece you could ever own – perfect for casual everyday wear or even a night out. Finding a pair that fits just right and that you love wearing will help transform your outfits and make putting together outfits so easy.

Cardigan

I love a good fluffy cardigan moment! Any color will do, but cardigans have come back into style in a huge way recently and are a perfect way to show more of your own personal taste in a capsule wardrobe. Any color, design, shape or embellishment here is perfect, because it helps make your style unique and one-of-a-kind, even when you’re cutting down to a few basic pieces.

Boots

I love the feeling of wearing heels and the clickity-clack they make when you walk, but not the pain they leave your feet in afterwards. That’s why I love a pair of 1 ½ to 3-inch block booties for going out, or simply dressing up a plain outfit. They’re timeless, and another way to express yourself with small details like toe shape or embellishments – I love wearing my boots on any occasion I can.

White Sneakers

Fashion girls will debate which white sneakers are the best, or which style is trendy right now.  That doesn’t really matter – all that does is finding a pair that you love, and that works for your lifestyle! Athletic running shoes? Perfect. Leather white sneakers? Also perfect. These are just such a staple for everyday wear that truly seem to tie any outfit together perfectly.

Mini Skirt

Fabric or leather and patterned or plain, this one is up to you and your style, but I love a good mini skirt moment for a day fit, or even a night out look. Sometimes the occasion calls for you to show a little leg, and I love having a good mini skirt you can always rely on for a perfect outfit.

Crossbody Bag

A simple bag you can throw over your shoulder is one of my favorite items to add to a capsule wardrobe, simply because I always have so many things to carry around.  I love a good black mini leather bag that can go with anything (I’m sure you’re catching on that this is a key criterion for any capsule wardrobe piece!).  Even if you only bring lip-gloss out with you, having a bag to hold it and tie your outfit together makes life so much easier.

Dress

This one is debatable for many, but a classic LBD will never go out of style.  Finding one that makes you feel hot and confident is the best feeling ever, and as with practically every piece I’ve mentioned here, they can be dressed up or down for practically anything you could think of.

Capsule wardrobes are truly so subjective and customizable, but that’s part of their universal appeal. You can make yours any way you want, with as much or as little as you’d like. They make getting dressed so much easier, consolidate your wardrobe and help cut down on clothing waste, which helps to save the planet in turn. There’s a reason cool girls love capsule wardrobes, and it’s clear to see why.

Lauren is currently a second year at the University of Florida studying Media Production and Classical Studies. Originally from Chicago, she now calls South Florida home when she isn't attending school in Gainesville. She loves writing articles about life on campus, the newest trends taking over TikTok, women in sports, and beauty/wellness. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her watching Formula One, reading the latest sports romance book, watching hockey, or talking about her most recent film obsession. She hopes to work in the film industry in the future; writing, producing, and directing her own films.