This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Name: Krystie T. Nguyen

Major:  Ph.D. in Higher Education Administration

Hometown: Vietnam and California

Krystie Nguyen may be new to the University of Florida’s campus but she has huge plans for a organization that’s personal to her. As the new director of UF’s Asian Pacific Islander American Affairs, she’s fueled by the passion of its members and has high hopes to continue to grow the community and raise awareness about their issues.  

Her Campus: How would you describe yourself?

Krystie Nguyen: I am a scholar and practitioner in higher education. I love adventure, I’m passionate about my APIA community and always in the mood for ice-cream.

HC: What is Asian Pacific Islander American Affairs?

KN: APIA Affairs encompasses community, activism, family and support.

HC: How did you become involved with APIA Affairs?

KN: As an individual who identifies within the group, I know my duty is to serve our community. I have chosen to serve on college campuses. I always come back to my roots and lived experiences to guide the work I do every day and to create a space of awareness and progress for myself and my APIA family members.

HC: What makes you the most excited for this new role?

KN: I’ve only been here for a few weeks, but I can honestly say that I am always excited to be involved in all aspects of APIA at UF, whether it is through our staff, the student organizations and clubs, APIA affiliated Greek life, etc., I am always ready to show my support and be amazed at the good work that our members are putting in daily.

HC: I know the organization has affected you personally, in what ways?

KN:  APIA, here at UF, definitely provides me with the overwhelming feeling of being welcomed and wanted. Those two feelings are unmeasurable and can have so [many]much positive effects on one’s feeling of belonging.  I have the privilege of serving those who truly understand the values embedded within our culture, and that is a blessing that fuels my passion for this work.

HC: What programs does the organization have this year and which do you think are the most important for the campus?

KN: We just had the Meet and Greet for our APIA Staff, we have our Town Hall in October, closed discussion groups that are designed specifically for our most vulnerable members, Asian Pacific American Heritage Month celebration, and so much more! All of these programs are important for the campus. It crucial to spread awareness to those who might not even see that there are problematic issues confronting APIA community here at UF, Gainesville, Florida, the Southeast region, and U.S. in general.

HC: What do you hope to bring to the community this year as director?

KN: I hope to bring dialogue surrounding solidarity within and outside of our community. I am also bringing my expertise to assist individuals combat necessary setbacks on society such as misogyny, patriarchy, exoticism, homophobia, islamophobia, xenophobia to name a few.

HC: What’s your life motto?

KN: Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.

Responses are lightly edited for clarity

Photo Credits: Krystie Nguyen