Life > Experiences

Brunch, Barre and Babes: The College Girl’s Guide to Planning a Galentine’s Day Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Leslie Knope inspired a generation of women to work hard, uplift those around them and not take no for an answer. However, one of Leslie’s greatest gifts to the world is Galentine’s Day. February 13th, according to Leslie, is about “ladies celebrating ladies.” Whether this is your first Galentine’s Day or your tenth, here are some tips for a day trip with your girls:

First, Galentine’s Day wouldn’t exist without, well, the gals. Start a group chat with your girls to see who’s available for a day trip and choose the location. Y’all can either stay in your college town by mapping out a short staycation, or y’all could head to a city that’s just far away enough from campus to make everyone temporarily forget about that upcoming exam. Consider visiting a town, or a part of town, that no one in your group has been to before. If heading to a completely new location is hard, y’all can still mix it up! When choosing your eateries, recreational activities and creative activities, try places and things that are new for everyone. Once y’all have picked the spot, you and your girls can start planning the fun part: the actual day.

A culinary pit stop is an essential part of Galentine’s Day. No matter where you’re visiting, try searching Instagram hashtags (such as #gainesvillerestaurants, #gainesvillefood and #gainesvillesweets) and TikTok for restaurants in your location. Or, head to Spoon University’s website and look up surrounding colleges. UF’s chapter of Spoon University has highlighted some Gainesville eateries on Instagram, such as Petit Uppercrust and Covey Kitchen + Cocktails, that look totally Galentine’s Day-approved. For the Lorelai Gilmore-level coffee enthusiasts, coffee shop dates are always an option. Spoon UF has shown off gorgeous lattes from Wyatt’s Coffee, Afternoon and Karma Cream on the ‘Gram.

Trying new activities is another important part of your Galentine’s Day trip. If y’all want to branch out beyond the traditional mani-pedi (but hey, no judging if that’s the move for you and your girls), sign up for a workout class that no one in the group has done. If y’all are usually Pilates princesses, participate in a boxing class or a spin class. Cardio girls might find that they love hot yoga or barre workouts. Another movement-themed activity is joining a women’s running or walking club for the day; I’ve been seeing a lot of Instagram ads recently for Miami’s Hot Girl Walk event in February. Y’all might find that you and your friends want to go horseback riding, kayaking, or even volunteering together at a nonprofit.

Galentine’s Day is also a great opportunity to get your creative juices flowing. Signing up for a fun class can be a great way to bond and potentially discover some hidden talents in yourself and your friends. See if there are any pottery, culinary or art classes in your location. If y’all want to create from the comfort of home (or a dorm), paint some thrifted glasses and plates to match your aesthetic; bonus points if y’all turn on some early 2000s rom-com music. Or buy a store-bought cake and supplies to redecorate it into a confection that would make all the time y’all spent watching “The Great British Bake Off” worth it. Another classic option is to paint canvases together, switching paintings every few minutes until your group’s masterpiece is formed.

Where you eat, what you do and what you create are important components of any trip. However, the absolute best part of a Galentine’s Day trip is spending time with your girls. Send the group chat a text. Pick your activities – and your coordinating outfits. Make a car ride playlist, even if it’s only a 10-minute trip. Most of all, enjoy time spent with your girls that isn’t related to school, work or your campus crush.  I hope your girl-centered trip is empty of stress and filled with adventure!

Caroline Crews is a third-year public relations major at the University of Florida. As a PR major, she enjoys nerding out about consumer analytics and campaign design. Caroline has used her education to design social media plans for both non-profit and for-profit organizations, create targeted email campaigns, and construct the branding of several organizations. When Caroline is not immersed in the field of PR, you can find her going on a walk, spending time with friends and family, or making a pot of coffee.