Breaking the Glass Ceiling: Elle Woods Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Let’s face it. Stereotypes are as deeply embedded into our society as Starbucks coffee is on college campuses. Being students at a school with a large Greek population, we are all familiar with the stigma that comes attached to the letters so frequently worn on our shirt pockets and scooters. It’s a lingering stereotype that those associated with Greek life are more interested in looks and socializing than attaining an education. This contributes to the typical “dumb sorority girl” stereotype, which was highlighted and broken by the spunky and fashionable Elle Woods in the movie Legally Blonde. As a sister of the fictional chapter Delta Nu, the movie captures Woods and her sisters not just crafting, but practicing for the Law School Admissions Test, or LSAT. Woods sends in a Harvard law admissions video in a sparkly pink bikini, and although she is snickered at, she is admitted. In the movie, she ends up as an extremely successful lawyer and graduates first in class. This movie, although idealistic, emphasizes that Elle Woods’ academic and professional success did not just shatter a glass ceiling; it shattered a glass ceiling that probably had her monogram on it.

It’s the 21st century and it’s about time we stop being so naive to stereotypes. Furthermore, it is time we understand that feminism and being a successful female is much different than male-shaming. Elle Woods pursued a profession in the male-dominated legal field, much like many aspiring pre-law students like myself are doing. According to the American Bar Association, in 2013, 66 percent of the practicing legal professions field was held by males and only 34% was held by females.

So why is this gender ratio so skewed in a world where we are supposed to be encouraging of female professionals? I believe it has a lot to do with the male undertones that immerse any woman entering a male-dominated field. A girly move of self-expression showcased by Elle Woods’ outfit choices, such as wearing a pink suit to court, is seen in many fields as unprofessional and incompetent. Wake up, people. The color pink does not equate to a lower IQ and less capability.

In professional America, ruled by black and charcoal grey suits, it is easy to see why a woman may not want to swallow her individuality to fit a job description. We cannot let the letters on our anoraks or the colors of our wardrobe define us. Elle Woods proved this and more, ending up with a prestigious job offer and a cute husband.

Whether we may be blonde or brunette, short or tall, dressed in pink or black, the bottom line is that we’re all ambitious as hell. We will pursue our dreams wearing whatever it is we please. Let our accomplishments and skills speak for us, rather than our stereotypes.

Photo credit: galleryhip.com

Hi, I'm Jenna and I'm currently attending the University of Florida as a Finance major with a specialization in Pre-Law, and minors in Entrepreneurship and Mass Communications. I grew up wanting to be a Carrie, but I know I'm going to end up as a Miranda. Interests include melted cheese, pink blazers, and fluffy puppy pictures on Pinterest.