Breakfast: Remembering the Day’s Most Important Meal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Morning is an important time for a collegiette. Often in a rush to get ready for class, hit the gym or catch up on some sleep, we can forget about the importance of eating a nutritious breakfast to start the day off right. Evidence shows that eating breakfast, preferably within about thirty minutes of waking up, will start your metabolism and heighten your concentration. Here are some healthy breakfast options for every kind of morning.

On the Go: Fruit, Yogurt, and/or a Cereal Bar

If you’re in a rush to run out the door in the morning, don’t forgo a power snack. Fruit like apples or bananas are easy to eat as you walk through campus. Yogurt is a refreshing treat to eat in the morning and in serving-size packages, it doesn’t take long to eat before you run out the door. Cereal bars are another easy option for when you have to eat in a hurry. Just remember to eat them in moderation, as they can be high in carbohydrates and calories.

In 10 Minutes or Less: Oatmeal with Nuts

Leaving the comfort of your bed isn’t quite so hard when you can enjoy a warm bowl of oatmeal before class. Oatmeal is easy to make, even in a dorm, by using a stove or microwave. The healthy hot cereal is filling and goes great with morning coffee. To spruce up a plain bowl of oatmeal, just sprinkle mixed nuts and maybe a little brown sugar on top. Nuts are a great fat-burning food, and eating them first thing in the morning jumpstarts your metabolism.

Leisure Time: Eggs with Vegetables

High in protein, eggs prepared in any way will wake your body up quickly. Make yourself a delicious scramble with eggs or eggs whites and your favorite vegetables. Spinach, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers and tomatoes are easy to sauté in light olive oil and taste great in an omelet. The vegetables will get you well on your way to achieving the recommended daily value of many vitamins, and they make regular eggs a little more exciting.