The Bookworm Belle: The Prologue and Harnessing Your Wind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It has been said that those who do not read only live one life, yet those that read experience many lives through the creativity and adventures of others. As collegiate women, we experience the dreaded assigned reading that comes along with the already tedious work-load in most of our classes. Whether you’ve found your niche for novels or have little priority for sitting down with a good read, The Bookworm Belle will be here to encourage and explore the enjoyable side to reading. Think of it as Oprah’s very own book club here at the University of Florida.

As we all begin a new year of classes and opportunities at UF, life can become overwhelming. With endless possibilities looming, students oftentimes find themselves facing a substantial to-do list that never seems to get smaller. Continuing to stay motivated throughout the semester is key, which is an important theme in the novel “The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind” by William Kamkwamba.

Although the novel focuses on Kamkwamba’s story to bring electricity to his village in Malawi, Africa, the same principles of perseverance and determination can apply to UF students. Set goals for yourself this semester. Promise to always give 100 percent throughout your classes, not just the first few weeks. Ditch technology during class and turn off your cell phone or put it away so that you’re not tempted to catch-up on the latest social networking buzz. As you read Kamkwamba’s story, remember to think of how his determination and focus enabled him to complete a goal that was important to him. Continue to remind yourself that you can make your ambitions a reality this semester with hard work and persistence just like Kamkwamba!