The Bookworm Belle: More Happy and More Aware

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

A few weeks ago, I introduced our book for the end of September, “The Happiness Project” by Gretchen Rubin. I hope you all found some time in between exams and homework to read this wonderful self-help book and revaluate how happy you truly are at this point in time.

There were so many things that I took away from reading this book, and I have recommended it to many people over the past few months. I think something to keep in mind when approaching this book is that although it is a self-help book, that doesn’t mean you necessarily need help. When I first picked it up, I felt very happy and satisfied with my life, but the book was still beneficial for me. There were definitely times throughout when I could say to myself, “Wow, I’ve totally reacted like that before. How can I work on that reaction so that even bad days can be turned into good situations?”

My advice: Take in all of Rubin’s information and sort out what you think is appropriate in your happiness project. What can you work on? What are you already great at?

There were a few sections of the book that definitely stuck out in my mind. I loved Rubin’s thoughts on taking time to be silly, relax and laugh no matter how much you have going on. There are so many times that I find myself bogged down by school work and thinking to myself, I barely have time to get a coffee with friends. “The Happiness Project” shows the reader how to prioritize your life and put events into perspective. Was it really the biggest deal, end of the world, or saddest moment of your life when they were out of your favorite OPI Red nail polish at Target? What about when they were out of Red Velvet froyo at Mochi? Didn’t think so.

Put everything into perspective. Take a step back, breathe and evaluate if this event moment is seriously worth getting frustrated and upset over. Gretchen Rubin encourages you to be selfish. Live your life for you and the activities and hobbies that you love, but focus on yourself and your happiness above anything else. If it doesn’t make you happy, then why bother?

Don’t worry, and be happy! Follow the link to my Flickr Account to download the original personalized desktop and cover photo for The Happiness Project, and look for more custom backgrounds in the future.

www.flickr.com/TheBookwormBelle

Cover Photo

Desktop Background