The Bookworm Belle: Life of Pi by Yann Martel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

So I finally got around to reading a well-known classic, Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Now I finally see what all the fuss is about! This book is incredible.

After Pi Patel and his family decide to move to Canada, they make the journey toward North America on a Japanese freight ship along with most of their zoo animals — many of which they plan to sell. Unfortunately, the ship faces a treacherous storm, and Pi’s family does not survive. Luckily, Pi is able to escape into a small lifeboat; however, he is not alone. Among his passengers are a spotted hyena, a zebra, an orangutan named Orange Juice, and a Bengal tiger named Richard Parker. Pi quickly learns that in order to live he will need to face his given adversity and choose to survive by any means possible.

Why you should read it: Life of Pi has so many things to offer its readers. It’s an adventure story; it’s a story about loss; it’s a story about overcoming obstacles; and above all, it’s a story that is absolutely inspirational. Although many of us haven’t faced 227 days at sea stranded on a boat with a Bengal tiger named Richard Parker, Life of Pi shows the reader that it’s possible to overcome any obstacle he or she may face, whether it be a crazy week at school, trying to find a job, or even a bad breakup. Life of Pi is the journey of Pi’s personal growth, yet any of us can learn from the wisdom and perseverance he shows throughout the story.

Overall, Life of Pi taught me to keep reality, keep faith, and keep moving. Although the road ahead is always uncertain, remembering this mantra will help you to not distort the situation, be optimistic, and make progress toward your goal — one small step or one large Bengal tiger roar at a time!

From the back cover: “After the sinking of a cargo ship, a solitary lifeboat remains bobbing on the wild blue Pacific. The only survivors from the wreck are a 16-year-old boy named Pi, a hyena, a wounded zebra, an orangutan — and a 450-pound royal Bengal tiger. The scene is set for one of the most extraordinary and beloved works of fiction in recent years.”

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.