Awesome Autumn Eating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Say that headline three times fast!

But let’s be real – one of the best things about fall is the food. As the weather cools, you feel more inclined to break out the spices for a warm recipe. Nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger … oh my.

Many restaurants (read: Starbucks) capitalize on this autumn eating theme by creating pumpkin-centered dishes only offered during October and November. Unfortunately, as your mouth waters, your wallet empties. Is it possible to have delicious fall foods without breaking the bank?

The answer is yes.

Try making your very own pumpkin spice latte
thekitchn.com/thekitchn/beverage/diy-pumpkin-spice-latte-096277 In a saucepan, combine two cups of milk, two tablespoons of canned pumpkin and two tablespoons of sugar over medium heat. Once it steams, remove from eat. Stir in two tablespoons of vanilla extract and ½ teaspoon of pumpkin spice. Pour into a blender; blend for 15 seconds until foamy. Pour into a cup, add two shots of espresso and top with whipped cream. Perfect.

We can’t forget another fall favorite: apples. Forget your mom’s apple pie and make something simpler – apple crisp. bettycrocker.com/recipes/apple-crisp/3715a45c-3c00-430c-bbe2-9865f9013238  Heat your oven to 375 degrees. Slice four medium tart apples into pieces, then spread into a pan. In a bowl, stir together ¾ cup packed brown sugar, ½ cup all-purpose flour, ½ cup oats, 1/3 cup butter, ¾ teaspoons both cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle the mixture over the apples; bake for 30 minutes. Serve with warm ice cream.

For a final, more unconventional autumn recipe, try cinnamon sugared bacon howsweeteats.com/2011/02/cinnamon-sugared-bacon/ It may sound weird, but it’s so good. The salty contrasts with the sweet perfectly – your guy friends will love it. Mix three tablespoons of brown sugar with ½ teaspoon of cinnamon. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and lay a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Drag bacon slices through the sugar/cinnamon mix and pat the sugar on top. Put the strips on the rack; bake for 20-25 minutes. Flip the bacon once. Remove, drain, enjoy.

See? Not everything is pumpkin, and not everything is expensive to make. Don’t buy, cook – and invite over friends for a bonfire in the cool air. Eat away!