burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Art of Thrift Shopping: Getting More Bang for Your Buck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Do you ever walk into Urban Outfitters wanting to buy some cute, new clothes but are too cheap to splurge? Or do you ever find an adorable outfit to try on only to realize that it is $75, so you awkwardly put it back on the rack? How about both? Yeah… Me too. Luckily, we at Her Campus UFL are totally accustomed to these sticky situations and are here to give you advice! The simple solution to being a typical broke college student: thrift shopping!

Shopping at thrift stores is somewhat of an art. It takes time and patience. You must be willing to go to multiple stores and look through tons of racks filled with outdated and seemingly archaic fashions. But it gives you the chance to find some super unique pieces that would never be found at department stores, not to mention, at killer prices! Personally, I think it cooler when you can say “I got this at a thrift store,” rather than, “I got this at Macy’s.” You don’t have to worry about running into someone in Midtown wearing the same dress as you when you go thrift shopping. Plus, you’ll have some extra money left over for the Pizza by the Slice you’ve been craving since you didn’t blow it all on that one $60 shirt from Free People.

Thrift stores are especially useful for fashionistas who prefer more of a vintage-y style. Since the items in these stores tend to be pretty aged, they perfectly catered to someone going for an antique and unique look. Thrift shops have become a must for cheap and trendy shoppers, especially since older fashions, such as high-waisted shorts from the 70s, have reemerged. 

But clothing isn’t the only thing offered by thrift stores. Many also have large jewelry selections, books, movies, purses, shoes (be careful with these!) and cute little trinkets! The last time I was at a thrift store, I wanted to buy every little eccentric knick-knack I saw… Trust me. From old-fashioned tea sets and lamps to distinctive salt and peppershakers and record players, thrift stores are a great destination for apartment or dorm décor.

The best part about it all? At places like Goodwill and Salvation Army, the items are so dirt-cheap they’ll make you do a double take at the price tags. Don’t get me wrong though; some pieces like the 50s “flapper style,” heavily jeweled dresses or wedding dresses will obviously be more expensive. But overall, if you’re looking for a pair of high-waisted jeans to cut into shorts or a quirky patterned shirt, thrift stores are just the place for you.

Always remember to wash the items before wearing them! Be patient, too. “Thrifting” is a process, and you might not find what you’re looking for on the first try. If you keep going to random stores you see throughout town, you just might stumble upon a unique piece that will become a major asset to your wardrobe.

If you live in Gainesville and don’t know where to start, here are some options:

1. Salvation Army Thrift Store (located at 55 NW 23rd Avenue) 
2. Sandy’s Savvy Chic Resale Boutique (located at 4148 NW 13th Street) 
3. Persona Vintage Clothing & Costumes (located at 201 SE 2nd Place) 
4. Haven Hospice Attic Resale Store (located at 300 NW 8th Avenue)

Good luck and happy shopping!

Photo Credits: 
Clothing rack picture- http://earth911.com/news/2011/10/14/guide-to-swapping-and-selling-clothes-online/ 
Shorts picture- http://www.thrifttown.com/2012/05/03/instagram-it-thrifted-finds/ 
Colorful glasses picture- http://assets.curbly.com/photos/0000/0008/8051/casasugar_thriftedgoods.jpg

Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.