This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Name: Kendal JonesAge: 19Year: sophomoreMajor: graphic design

Her Campus: Did you know you wanted to be an artist all your life?Kendal Jones: In about fifth grade I decided I was going to be an interior designer. In middle school I was on the yearbook staff, and in high school my electives predominantly became art classes. Junior year I also created my own photography business, which I still continue today. I have always been interested in art and design, but going into college I was very unsure if I would make it my major and eventual career. I decided to start college as a journalism major, and I ended my freshman year as a public relations major. While some of my media classes really interested me, I wasn’t excited about it. I wanted to be creating graphics and taking photos, so I looked into the program. When looking at the upper-division classes, I was excited and eager to take them even if they sounded challenging, so I knew that was the right place for me!”

HC: What is your biggest inspiration for art?KJ: There is something very exciting to me about being able to tell stories, convey ideas and create emotions for viewers through your art. I get inspiration and motivation all around me. Artists and designers who work on galleries, all the way to those who create advertisements, to performance artists and filmmakers all have such an impact on our society, and I see it every day. Whether it be graphic designers who create book covers or musicians, our world is filled with color and creativity. I want to be part of this community and be able to inspire others.”

HC: Which art class that you are currently taking or have taken is your favorite?KJ: Right now I am in a class called Workshop and Research Practice. It is a required class, and every person with a fine arts major has to take it. What I think is most special about this class is that it really pushes me. While I have had experience in design work, I had hardly any knowledge or sculpture installation work or even drawing. Every couple weeks we have four drawings due that are “reconstruction or recreations” of famous artists’ work. This overwhelmed me at first, especially having drawing majors in my class. This assignment has allowed me to become more comfortable and confident in my abilities to try new things. I even got to make a 30-foot giant inflatable fortune cookie!”

HC: What kinds of classes do art majors have to take that are different from other majors?KJ: Other than my gen-ed classes, my classes are very different from other majors. A large part of my grade is participation and constantly working on projects. I only had a midterm in one of my classes. Tests and book work help reinforce ideas that we learn in class, but are so far a very small portion of my grade. This year was a big shock because I haven’t had to do such time-consuming work for every project and every assignment. Another big difference is the majority of the class projects and homework is creative work rather than memorizing facts or learning definite information. While it is a lot of work (I’m getting out of my procrastinating ways!), I’m creating work I’m excited about!”

HC: Of all the pieces of art you’ve done, which was your favorite piece?KJ: “Honestly there isn’t one piece of work I’ve created that sticks out in my head. I did a set of imaginative photos with children, for example, where I put boys who love monster trucks in a car junkyard and they loved it. Photographing that was one of my favorite projects, and the photos came out great. I loved how it showed just the imaginative nature and playful naivety of children.”

HC: What do you want to do as a career after college?KJ:I still ask myself that same question! At the end of my second year I will apply to the specific major, so I have a little time to explore. Whether it be graphic design work creating movie posters, book covers or magazine layouts. Ideally, I would love to work in the entertainment industry and work project by project. I’m also looking at photography or even being an elementary art school teacher. I’m still figuring it out myself. I do know that I am where I am supposed to be right now!”

HC: What would be your best advice for prospective art students?KJ: If art is something you love, make it your career! There is so much opportunity. I truly believing in the saying ‘If you love what you do you’ll never work a day in your life.’ Also, don’t procrastinate! These projects will take lots and lots of time, but it’s better than doing calculus, am I right?”