Are Colleen Hoover’s Books Worth the Hype? Definitely.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Here Are Your Next TBRs:

Excerpt: Colleen Hoover has headed the young adult genre for years now. As an avid reader myself, I’ve taken the time to read many of her novels over the past few months. I’ve compiled six of her most renowned books and six of my favorites.

Colleen Hoover has headed the young adult genre for years now. From Booktok recommendations to her own display tables at Barnes and Noble, Hoover is a name every reader — and non-reader — knows. 

As an avid reader myself, I’ve taken the time to read many of her novels over the past few months. Her books consist of passion-filled romance and mind-numbing plot twists. Her voice is unique in that each and every one of her books is recognizable as her own. Hoover is exceptionally creative, delivering storylines that are distinct from any other novels I’ve read in the past. She plays on emotions in a way that will leave you crying both sad and happy tears with every turn of the page.

Below, I’ve compiled six of her most renowned books and six of my favorites. The following are must-reads for lovers of any genre. For those thinking of taking up reading as a new hobby, I suggest starting with Hoover’s books. You’re guaranteed to be hooked and begging for more with any of the following selections.

Verity

This book needs no introduction. “Verity” is one of Hoover’s most talked about books, and it’s certainly an outlier as compared to her others. This psychological thriller is a mental puzzle, leaving you guessing well past the last page. 

To give a brief synopsis (without any major spoilers), this book centers an introverted writer who is tasked with taking on a famous series. The writer, Verity, has been hurt in a car accident and can no longer finish the series. The new writer is Lowen, and she is very uncomfortable by the idea of being in the spotlight. She agrees only to work anonymously, which Verity’s husband Jeremy accepts. He invites Lowen to sort through Verity’s office and gather all of the notes she has on the series. Lowen tries to do this but is instead distracted by Verity’s manuscript and indulges in its honesty. With alternating perspectives between Lowen and the manuscript, Verity’s story is exposed, and their family’s secrets led to light. The family is haunted in a way that leads Lowen to second-guess everything she began to believe about them. 

This novel is one of the best I’ve read. I would have never expected to be as consumed by it as I was — completely lost in Lowen and Verity’s shifting narratives. I tried desperately to guess what would happen. All I can say is: you can guess all you want, but it will never fail to surprise you. 

Reminders of Him

Hoover is known for her sad-to-happy stories. Her books typically begin with a tragic plot and broken characters that eventually find peace in their situations. Her stories are raw and authentic and always end in love saving the most damaged of people. 

This novel tells the story of Kenna and the unfortunate moment that changed her life forever. After a deadly crash that killed her beloved boyfriend, Scotty, Kenna spends five years in jail. The story begins when she has finally made enough money to move back to the place that Scotty was from in hopes of connecting with one person in particular: their daughter. Kenna and Scotty’s daughter had been taken from her the minute she birthed her in jail and sent to live with Scotty’s parents, who blame Kenna for their son’s horrific death. Scotty’s best friend (whom Kenna had never met), Ledger, took the small girl under his wing and became a father figure in her life. Kenna meets Ledger immediately and remains undercover until he discovers who she is. Most of the novel is spent learning the true nature of the crash and the extent of Kenna’s guilt. She works tirelessly to win back her right to her daughter, as well as the respect of Scotty’s loved ones. 

This novel is painfully moving. I couldn’t help the tears that would roll down my face as I deeply sunk into Kenna’s perspective. This book is powerful to say the least — a natural must-read.

November 9

I had heard there was a “huge plot twist” in this book before I read it. Being the mystery lover that I am, I was instantly intrigued. But even beyond this one storyline, the romance between the two main characters, Ben and Fallon, is OTP level. Hoover strikes again in morphing a story that is both heartbreaking and heartwarming. 

The concept is one of my favorite aspects of this novel. The book is divided into six sections — each one a different November 9th. The date is significant for Fallon, having been the day she nearly died in a house fire, a day that altered her life (and her body) permanently. She meets Ben two November 9ths later, and they have an instantaneous connection. They are struck by bad timing, though, as Fallon is set to move to New York the next day. She’s also sworn off love for at least six years, wanting to establish herself and her career first. And so, Ben pitches the idea of meeting every year on November 9th — and November 9th only — until they both turn 23. Fallon is still doubtful, not wanting any sort of Ben-sized distraction, so they cut off all communication and block each other on social media. This plan, though flimsy, is one they both honor. And so, begins six years (but really only six days) of an unforgettable love story. 

I always appreciate novels with an unconventional plot. I love that Ben and Fallon’s story is equal parts lovey-dovey romantic and what’s-actually-going-on intriguing. What seems to be linear in this story is complex and overlooked. This book should definitely be at the top of your TBR.

Ugly Love

The title of this novel describes it well. This is yet another of my favorites — not to mention the main couple, Tate and Miles. This is one of Hoover’s darker reads but also one of her more passionate. Tate loves Miles back to life, and it’s magical. 

The book begins with Tate going to live with her brother, which ultimately leads to her meeting his friend Miles. He is quiet and rude, and Tate doesn’t like him. They barely consider themselves friends when they slip into a casual sex agreement — one that satisfies the only thing they feel towards each other: undeniable attraction. Miles makes her promise to never ask about his past — and to certainly not expect a future. Despite her better judgment, she agrees, and he accepts. But just like every fictional sex arrangement ever, it doesn’t go as planned. Tate cracks the code that is Miles Archer, and he eventually (after many chapters) lets her. 

I thoroughly enjoyed this read. The dynamic between Miles and Tate gets better with each page; their chemistry is hard to beat. Miles’ story is heartbreaking, but their story is the glue that mends it. 

HEart Bones

This is one of my very favorite Colleen Hoover books. The book’s main couple, Samson and Beyah, have my heart. Their connection is undeniable, and their passion unmatched. I was so engulfed in this book that I read it in one sitting. 

Beyah suffers an unexpected death of a loved one at the beginning of the novel, which ultimately rocks her summer plans. She is forced to move in with her father (with whom she has little to no relationship with) for a handful of months before she’s set to start college in the fall. She plans to keep to herself, which doesn’t hold up for very long. Her father’s stepdaughter and her boyfriend befriend Beyah, as well as their mysterious friend Samson. He intrigues her, and the two quickly open up to one another. Samson reveals little about himself, but Beyah assumes he is as rich and as well-off as her stepsister. The two fall in love, regardless of their expiration date. Beyah knows their end is nearing, but what she doesn’t expect is a plot twist that leaves her heart even more broken than she already knew it would be.

I will never not recommend this read. I’ve found it’s underrated compared to the more recognizable titles, but I can’t understand why. I was so invested in Beyah and Samson’s story. I’d say, romance-wise, this is Hoover’s best work. 

It Ends with Us

This one I’m sure you’ve heard of. This infamous novel stands out among Hoover’s most popular story, credited as the title that brought her fame. Hoover just released a sequel to the book, too, called “It Starts with Us.” 

Lily has had a rough life, which is what makes her skeptical when things begin to feel a little too perfect. She’s on her own with her own business and a very attractive neurosurgeon who is very interested in her. As their relationship develops, small details about Ryle start to disturb Lily. He has a complete aversion to relationships, which makes her wonder what in his past had led to that. As she attempts to find answers to her never-ending questions, she thinks back to her first love, Atlas. His sudden reappearance overwhelms her, and soon she’s not sure of anything. Lily faces several life-altering moments that will ultimately lead her to one place and to one person.

This is the classic Hoover novel, in my opinion. When people think of Colleen Hoover, this is what they think of. It’s wonderfully romantic yet teaches life lessons that one will hold onto forever. 

Each of these stories fill a place in my heart. Colleen Hoover is as famous as she is for a very good reason: her writing is exceptional. These stories will make you feel every emotion — some simultaneously. They will make you think and make you question. If you haven’t already, do yourself a favor: close this article, pick your favorite of the above books and order it. 

Like, immediately.

Dayna Maloney is a fourth-year advertising major at the University of Florida. As an avid reader and writer, Dayna has an undying passion for storytelling. She thrives in any creative setting with a love for books, music, photography, film, and art. Dayna believes in spreading love and inspiring others to be their best and fullest selves.