This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Animal Crossing is a game that people have been raving about since it made its appearance back in 2001.

This game has been played on the GameCube, Nintendo DS, Wii, Nintendo 3DS and now the Nintendo Switch. 

People enjoy the freedom that Animal Crossing has provided over the years.

You are your own person who lives in their own village, and you get to layout your home, village, residents and shops the way you want it to look.

It is a creative outlet for people to build their fantasy land.

Animal Crossing is very similar to the Sims, except you don’t burn your ex-boyfriends or microwave hamsters.

It’s a sweeter and much more wholesome video game, and it’s enjoyable for people of all age groups.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is designed to play on the Nintendo Switch.

At the start of the game, you name your own island and villager and then purchase the island from Tom Nook, the character who manages the finances of the island.

From there, you turn the island into your own utopia.

When you begin the game, you are starting the buildup of the island entirely from scratch.

You and the few residents of the island are living in tents and sleeping on cots.

As time goes on, you eventually gather the funds and materials to make the island more than a deserted place with no life or color.

This is done by crafting materials and selling island objects and animals to make greater purchases that will benefit your residents on the island.

Another way to earn cool items is by the new currency in New Horizons: Nook Miles.

Nook Miles is a grant plan where you earn “miles” by completing island tasks.

Earning Nook Miles is very simple; you can earn miles by simply talking to your neighbors, crafting new projects, catching butterflies or even eating your island’s native fruit.

Players are also able to have friends visit their island where they can exchange goods and have fun together.

New Horizons is also set to match the weather and time of day to your real-life location.

The authenticity in this game and the ability to make it feel like your own real island makes New Horizons so special and fun. 

One of the biggest achievements that can be made in New Horizons is the completion of the museum owned by Blathers the owl.

Once Blathers makes his appearance on the island, he is open to all donations for fish, bugs and fossils to craft his legendary museum.

Since New Horizons takes place in real world time, some creatures only appear seasonally.

This means that the museum takes quite some time to complete, but the end result is worth it.

If you were a Webkinz player, you know how important it was to obtain all the jewels and gems to craft the legendary crown of wonder.

The completion of Blathers’ museum is equivalent to that.

I won’t spoil the whole game, but I will say that New Horizons has exceeded the expectations of many players.

People who have been playing Animal Crossing since the beginning and newcomers have had nothing but positive things to say about this game.

During a time where social distancing is so crucial due to COVID-19, this game successfully brings people together and will continue to do so for a very long time.

Olivia Trejo is a 3rd year public relations major at the University of Florida. With a strong passion for people and music, she hopes to pursue a career in the music industry after college.