starbucks holiday drink menu 2022?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
starbucks holiday drink menu 2022?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Starbucks

A Review of This Year’s Starbucks Holiday Drinks 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Everyone has their way of getting into the holiday spirit. Some decorate early, others start watching Hallmark Christmas movies. Some listen to Christmas music while they work out or walk to class. And some, or rather most, start indulging in Starbucks’ holiday specialty drinks. 

Starbucks released this year’s lineup of holiday drinks on November 3rd, giving fans more than enough time to try each and every one. They’ll be available until the second week of January.

Starbucks is infamous for their festive branding. They transform the app and delight customers with holiday printed cups. There are four designs this year, all red and green and featuring fun details like trees and snowflakes. 

When you walk into a Starbucks during the holidays, you’re immediately met with red menu boards and soft, soothing holiday music. You’ll smell the hot chocolate and hints of peppermint — not to mention any baked goods they’ll have. No matter where you are, your experience will be in tune with the holidays, and you’ll be craving one of the delicious-looking drinks you see behind the barista bar. 

The following six drinks are a part of Starbucks’ featured holiday menu. I’ve taken the time to research (and try) each to give my best review. Although there really isn’t anything bad to say about any of them… So, maybe you should just try them all. 

Peppermint Mocha

This is the classic holiday drink and the first listed on their website. In fact, this was the first Starbucks drink I’ve ever had way back in middle school. When you think “holiday,” you think “peppermint mocha,” and a lot of that can be attributed to Starbucks. 

This drink contains espresso, steamed milk, peppermint-flavored syrup and mocha sauce. The original order comes with whipped cream topped with dark chocolate curls. The drink can be made iced or hot, and it is honestly delicious both ways.

For a long time, this was my favorite Starbucks drink, even long after the holiday season. Maybe it was the nostalgia of it being my very “big girl” coffee drink. But also, it’s just really good. The way the espresso blends with the chocolate is so cohesive, and the peppermint only enhances the flavor. The peppermint and chocolate flavor combination isn’t for everyone, but for those who do like it, this drink may very well be your favorite. 

Caramel Brulée Latte

This is, without a doubt, the best latte I’ve ever had from Starbucks. Though my love for the peppermint mocha lives on, I’ve given my heart to this latte. Caramel lattes are superior to begin with, but the caramel brulée is an entirely different flavor. It’s richer than regular caramel and complements the coffee flavor much better. 

This drink is espresso, steamed milk and caramel brulée sauce. Just like the peppermint mocha, it also comes with whipped cream but is instead sprinkled with a crunchy caramel brulée topping. My advice is to order it not with the whipped cream, but with the vanilla sweet cream cold foam instead. The combination is heavenly, and they’ll still top it with the delicious caramel brulée pieces. Win-win! This enhanced caramel latte isn’t the most festive of Starbucks’ drinks, but it is insanely good. Definitely try it while you can.

Iced Sugar Cookie Almond Milk Latte

This is a newer drink but has become a fan favorite. The flavor in this latte comes more from the blend than syrup, setting it apart from the others. It’s made with the signature Starbucks blonde espresso roast, which is then blended with sugar cookie flavors. This is mixed with almond milk and set over ice. Finally, it’s decorated not with whipped cream (considering that many who order almond milk may have a dairy allergy), but with red and green sprinkles. 

This drink is semi-sweet with a more potent coffee flavor. The others are purely sweet, whereas this latte may appeal more to those looking for a little bit of holiday cheer in an everyday cup of coffee. Nonetheless, it’s fun and delicious, just like the others. 

Chestnut Praline Latte

This drink is for real holiday lovers. This not-so-typical flavor is for those who love seasonal spices. 

The latte is made with espresso and milk, flavored with caramelized chestnuts and spices and topped with whipped cream and spiced praline crumbs. For those seeking a more authentic holiday experience, this is the latte to get. While the others ooze sugar, this one has more of the sweet spices — the kind you smell everywhere during the holidays. 

Toasted White Chocolate Mocha

This drink is similar to the caramel brulée latte in that the holiday version is just slightly better than the original drink served throughout the year. The “toasted” makes a huge difference. 

In this latte, there’s espresso, milk and flavors of caramelized white chocolate. On top, there’s whipped cream sprinkled with holiday sugar crystals and white pearls. Just like the caramel brulée latte, I’d order it with the sweet cream cold foam rather than the whipped cream. It makes the drink a bit sweeter because the foam mixes with the drink more than the whipped cream does. 

Hot Chocolate (Regular, White, Peppermint, Toasted White, Peppermint White)

Last but certainly not least, the Starbucks hot chocolate is a must-have during the holiday season. There are five different variations; some with peppermint and others with just chocolate. If you’re not a caffeine person (or maybe you’ve just had enough for the day), hot chocolate is such a fun and delicious treat. 

It’s been a tradition of mine, each and every holiday season, to have as many Starbucks specialty drinks as I can. There’s nothing more festive than a peppermint flavored latte or one topped with spiced nuts and caramelized pieces. Coffee is a part of many people’s routines anyway, so why not add some holiday cheer to your order?

If you haven’t tried any of the above yet, the good news is that there’s still time to try them all. But don’t wait too long! Enjoy as much of the holidays (and Starbucks’ holiday menu) as you can. 

Happy Holidays, from one Starbucks lover to the next!

Dayna Maloney is a fourth-year advertising major at the University of Florida. As an avid reader and writer, Dayna has an undying passion for storytelling. She thrives in any creative setting with a love for books, music, photography, film, and art. Dayna believes in spreading love and inspiring others to be their best and fullest selves.