This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Halloween is approaching and that can only mean one thing — planning the perfect Halloween costume. You’ve been looking at Pinterest boards and TikTok videos trying to find inspiration for a unique costume. Here are some ideas for you whether you’re going solo or in a group.

y2k britney spears

Looking for a Y2K icon to copy? Britney Spears is the perfect it-girl. Recreate one of her iconic outfits such as her 2001 VMAs look. The low-rise iridescent blue shorts with the cape in the back is definitely a statement piece, but not as big of a statement piece as the 7-foot albino Burmese python she carried on her shoulder. If you can’t find a python at your local store, I’m sure a plush snake will do. Or, if you’re thinking about a duo costume, try to recreate the Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake denim moment at the 2001 American Music Awards. A denim corset paired with patchwork denim low-rise jeans and a sparkly choker will for sure make a statement.

nostalgic sharkboy & lavagirl

Sharkboy and Lavagirl are the epitomai of nostalgia. If you want people to come up to you all night and tell you that your costume reminds them of their childhood, this costume will do just that. For Lavagirl, you can wear anything if it’s the same bright fuchsia pink that Lavagirl is known for, and you earn bonus points if you wear a pink wig. Sharkboy can wear an all-gray outfit including a vest and, of course, the shark fin on the back. And make sure to spike your hair up for the full effect.

bloody jennifer

Everyone will be going as Jennifer from “Jennifer’s Body” and wearing the pink and red heart cropped hoodie with the low-rise dark denim jeans, but I think there are better looks from the movie. The blood-soaked prom dress would be the perfect mix of hot and scary. This would be easy to recreate with a long, white dress from the thrift store paired with a black bow tied above the waist, long, white gloves and, of course, fake blood poured over the dress. However, my favorite look from this movie was the puffer jacket look at the concert. This can be recreated with a denim mini skirt, ripped tights, animal print top, black booties and a white puffer jacket. And, again, don’t forget to pour blood all over this costume as well. Perfect for if it’s cold outside too.

winx club vs spice girls

Group costumes can be difficult for everyone to agree on, but I’m sure your friend group will be jumping at the idea of being the “Winx Club.” Round up four of your friends and chose which character you each want to be. With short, sparkly costumes and platform booties, you can’t go wrong. Plus, the wings are a super cute way to coordinate your outfits and make sure that you get a great Instagram picture. Another group to dress as is the Spice Girls. With so many different styles, you and your friends can really go all out with this one and channel your inner 90s popstar. The hair and makeup of this era are pretty easy to follow with a lot of voluminous updos, colorful eyeshadow and a lot of lipliner. And the outfits are totally back in style, so it will be easy to find a lot of 90s inspired pieces.

popstar hannan montana

Hannah Montana will forever be one of the best shows on Disney Channel. As a child, all of us envied her outfits. With her giant closet housing a rotating clothing rack and endless shelves of shoes and purses, how could we not want to be Hannah Montana? To mimic her, I would suggest a long, blonde wig with blunt bangs, and for her outfit, basically anything sparkly and layered with a red leather jacket or a pair of colorful tights. You can also carry around a microphone to fully embody the character. A fun joke would be having a friend dress up as Miley in a similar outfit and trick people into thinking you guys are the same person.

a trio of angels

Remember when everyone was dressing up as “Mean Girls”? Yeah, well that’s out. Totally not fetch anymore. The new trio costume is the angel costumes from “A Cinderella Story.” This light pink coordination is unmatched. Everyone was looking at Sam, played by Hilary Duff, but now looking back, the true fashion icons were the cheerleaders. These costumes were way beyond their era and are definitely in style now. Anything short and light pink will do, and pair with fuzzy angel wings to complete the look. Make sure to add a glossy lip and big hair if you want to feel like one of the cheerleaders walking down the steps to the Halloween party.

siri, play “rick and morthy”

If you want a fun and humorous costume this Halloween, you can’t go wrong with Rick and Morty. Especially with the new song “Rick and Morty” by Soulja Boy trending on TikTok, it’s the perfect time to dress up as the characters. Get on an elevated surface and sing “Rick and Morty” until everyone at the party is paying attention to you.

Racheal Jones is a senior at the University of Florida studying Sociology. She's completed research on family violence and is currently working on a new research project. She loves Marvel movies, sapphic fantasy novels and Taylor Swift. Outside of school, she's learning how to roller skate, take care of her plants and rock climb.
Alyssa is a second-year journalism major at the University of Florida. Her dream career would be to incorporate her love of environmental science with her love of writing. In her free time, Alyssa enjoys cooking, working out, and watching Community. When she isn't in class, you can usually find her at a coffee shop or thrift store.