6 Unusual Movies for Your Next Girls’ Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Girl’s nights are meant for ice cream, wine and, of course, movies. But deciding on a movie that pleases everyone can be really hard. So your next movie night, just pick a genre and let this list decide the rest.  The best part? They’re all on Netflix…and you probably haven’t seen any of them before.

Action

The Physician

This film takes you back to 11th century Persia. A boy with a gift of diagnosing patients must pretend to be Jewish, in order to attend a prestigious university to study medicine. There are many twists and turns along the way including plague, adultery and even death.

Comedy

The Fundamentals of Caring

A retired writer, who is dealing with death and divorce takes a course to become a caregiver. He ends up working for a teen with muscular dystrophy. An impromptu road trip ends up taking the two for a wild ride.

Romantic Comedy

Under the Tuscan Sun

After going through a divorce, a writer spontaneously moves to Tuscany to begin a new life. She develops new relationships in her new home and begins to rebuild her life. New romance might even bloom.

Drama

You’re Not You

A woman with ALS gets a crazy college student as a caregiver. The two are an unlikely pair. However, slowly, they begin to lean on one another. They grow because of the other person while dealing with whatever obstacle comes their way.

Horror

Hush

A deaf and mute writer lives in a house in the woods, tucked away in a remote location. A masked murderer begins stalking her, communicating with her via texts and online messages. She is forced to defend herself, despite not being able to speak or hear.

Thriller

Colonia

A German couple finds themselves in a military coup.  The man gets abducted, and the woman begins searching for him. She finds him in a cult called the ‘Colonia Dignigad,’ which no one has escaped before. They must find a way out.

So, your next movie night, ditch “Mean Girls” and “13 Going on 30.” Watch something new instead.

Sources:

Wikipedia & IMDB

Photo Credits: wikipedia.com, noahgordonbooks.com, tumblr.com

Kelly is a sophomore studying telecommunications and English at UF. She is the Campus Cutie writer and couldn't be more excited for her first semester on the Her Campus UFL team! Kelly is an avid traveler, coffee lover, and Netflix junkie. She is also a member of Delta Zeta and a dual citizen of Canada and the United States. Kelly spent her summer at WWSB ABC 7 as a digital media intern. She hopes to one day produce and write for television in a city like New York or Toronto.