6 Quotes from Important Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

With International Women’s Day being celebrated last week, I thought this article had appropriate timing. I compiled some of my favorite quotes from wise ladies in the public eye, so we can all recognize our own accomplishments, happiness and the importance of being a woman.

1. Mindy Kaling: “When an adult white man asks me ‘Where do you get your confidence?’ the tacit assumption behind it is: ‘Because you don’t look like a person who should have any confidence. You’re not white, you’re not a man, and you’re not thin or conventionally attractive. How were you able to overlook these obvious shortcomings to feel confident?’”
Mindy Kaling is probably my current favorite celebrity — she’s talented, hilarious and always stands up for what she believes in. She embraces who she is as a person and encourages others to accept who they are.

2. Tina Fey: “Don’t waste your time trying to change opinions. Do your thing, and don’t care if they don’t like it.”
Those with strong opinions are unlikely to change them. Unapologetically do what you want to do. Don’t listen to those in your ear who are trying to discourage you, even in the most subtle of ways.

3. Amy Poehler: “Make ‘no’ a complete sentence.”
Personally speaking, sometimes I’ll do things out of an obligation I feel. Remember that it’s okay to say no to going out or meeting up with friends if you don’t feel up to it, without feeling compelled to give a reason. You are entitled to making yourself happy.

4. Emma Watson: “I was disturbed by how long a conversation I could have with any woman about what she didn’t like about herself.”
It’s hard not to acknowledge what we perceive as flaws. But there’s a difference between acknowledging and obsessing — try not to let things about your physical appearance influence you too much.

5. Michelle Obama: “As women, we must stand up for each other.”
Never underestimate the value of female friendships. We live in a world where some people still think it’s okay to demean the words of women simply because of their gender. Never attempt to reduce another woman’s worth. Encourage and inspire. My friends and I always send #WomenCelebratingWomen to each other when we’re feeling particularly proud and happy for each other. It’s a great ritual to have.

6. Taylor Swift: “As the first woman to win Album of the Year at the Grammys twice, I want to say to all the young women out there: There are going to be people along the way who will try to undercut your success or take credit for your accomplishments or your fame, but if you just focus on the work and you don’t let those people sidetrack you, someday when you get where you are going, you’ll look around and you will know that it was you and the people who love you who put you there and that will be the greatest feeling in the world.”
Bear with me — I know the quote is long. However, Taylor made an extremely important point in her Grammy acceptance speech. All too often, accomplishments of women are discredited. Taylor used that time to ensure that the success she has is due to her own accord. Never let anyone take away what you’ve earned.

If you take away anything from this article, I hope it’s these two things: You are enough, and remember to celebrate every woman. I hope these quotes inspired you, collegiettes!  

Photo credit: blogspot.com