This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Grocery shopping seemed so much more fun when we were younger. Our parents would stroll the isles crossing off what they needed as we sneakily threw cookies, candy, and Lunchables into the cart. Shopping seemed like such a breeze back then, but once we were finally on our own, we realized it wasn’t such a walk in the park.

Fast forward to your first year of college. Remember your first grocery trip alone? Don’t be ashamed to admit when you arrived home you had enough frozen pizzas to feed a small army and a bunch of other junk food you don’t remember tossing in the cart (we’ve all been there). Even though you dread going every week, follow these simple steps to ensure a more pleasant (and cost effective) shopping experience.

1. Make a list 
Writing a grocery list makes it so much easier to get in and get out of the store in a timely manner. By checking your refrigerator and making note of things you need, you will save yourself the trouble later on if you get home and realize you forgot something. Making a list will also help you by ensuring you don’t purchase impulsively.

2. Plan meals 
Before you make a trip to the store, spend some time researching new meal ideas to eat during the day or for dinner. Pinterest always has great suggestions when it comes to healthy snacks, and it’s always fun to try a new recipe.

3. Take advantage of BOGO 
What’s more exciting than your favorite food? Getting two of your favorite food for the price of one! BOGO deals can be helpful when shopping on a budget, so make sure to keep an eye out for them around the store. They can also be helpful when it comes to cutting down how often you go to the store because you’ll get what you need in one trip.

4. Check grocery story ads 
Sometimes you’d be surprised what you find in grocery store ads. Stores like Target often offer coupons of $10-off certain purchases. You can also find other useful things, such as recipes.

5. Don’t go shopping on an empty stomach 
If you’ve ever gone grocery shopping on an empty stomach, your total is usually a lot higher than normal. You can’t resist all the tasty looking items thanks to your rumbling stomach, so you (naturally) buy everything. This problem can be avoided by simply eating before you go to a place where you know you’ll be surrounded completely by food.

By following these five steps you can turn your grocery trip from drab to fab in no time. Happy shopping!

Nicole Germany is a senior at the University of Florida pursuing a degree in magazine journalism. She is currently on track to graduate fall of 2014 and hopes to land a dream job with a major magazine in New York City. Her current roles include writing for Her Campus at the University of Florida, the inspirational-fashion blog, Hello Perfect and is social media director for She's The First UF.Her previous work experience includes writing for the The Independent Florida Alligator and The Black Sheep Magazine. She also volunteered for Gainesville Fashion Week 2013 where she assisted designers by organizing clothes and other materials for the show.Nicole updates her blog weekly with different entertainment, lifestyle and DIY pieces. Her website also contains relevant online clips and short stories.http://nkgermany.wordpress.com  
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.