4 Ways to Prep for Rainy Days in The Swamp

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

With the beginning of every Fall semester comes another rainy season. Downpours, light rain and insanely high humidity are Gainesville’s norm . Since the irregular weather won’t disappear any time soon, every collegiette™ needs ideas on how to survive it. Here are four tips on prepping for the crazy weather here in The Swamp:

1. Boot it up 
Rain boots are every girl’s best friend, especially when you’re rushing to catch the bus or running through puddles the size of Lake Alice. Rain boots come in a variety of cute patterns and prints that make for an even better outfit paired with leggings or a dress.

2. Always, always, always carry an umbrella 
Rule No. 1 of living in Gainesville: always carry an umbrella in your bag, tote, backpack or purse. Downpours happen often, especially in the afternoons when you’re getting out of class and have to wait 10 minutes for the next bus home. Don’t be caught out in the rain! Instead of buying a large umbrella that isn’t easily transported, buy a small one that fits into any bag you carry.

3. Humidity at its worst 
Don’t think that just because the rain has stopped you’ve escaped the worst of it. Carry an anti-frizz spray in your bag to stop the humidity from destroying the pencil-straight hair you spent all morning perfecting. Try products like Bumble and bumble. Defrizz or Frizz-Ease 3-Day Straight styling spray, which are both great for keeping those frizzy fly-aways straight for long periods of time. It’s a 10’s Miracle Shine Spray, also sold at most drugstores, is a personal favorite and promises 10 benefits to your hair, with anti-humidity and anti-frizz protection among them.

4. If you don’t want to deal with any products… Tie your hair back! 
A high ponytail works best for rainy days when you don’t want to straighten or curl your hair only for it to be blown into oblivion by the rain, wind and humidity. Spray it with hairspray, place some bobby pins around the ponytail to keep in those flyways, and you’re good to go!

Don’t let the rain get you down, collegiettes™! If we have a repeat of this past weekend’s awful gameday weather, use the rain as an opportunity to express your individual style. 

Alexia Fernandez is a senior at the University of Florida. A journalism major, she has been interested in films, books and pop culture since she can remember. An avid film buff, she hopes to one day write screenplays, make films and tell stories through as many mediums as possible.
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.