10 Things Only ‘Shy Girls’ Will Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Being shy is a serious struggle. You hate talking, and you’d rather chill on your phone than start a meaningless conversation. There are a few things you’ll only understand if you lack a knack for putting yourself out there.

1. You’re really bad at small talk.

You don’t talk just to talk. You like having real conversations.

2. People think you’re always quiet.

No, I’m not. I just haven’t opened up to you yet.

3. It weirds you out when people automatically pour their heart out.

Like, why are you doing this…

4. You live for gossip sessions with your closest friends.

You can be yourself, and talk about all the little observations you make when you’re listening, rather than talking.

5. Your talents surprise people.

Because you’re quiet, sometimes people don’t think you’re a force to be reckoned with.

6. People think you’re one way when they meet you…

You seem shy and introverted.

7. And then they get to know you…

I almost tricked you into thinking I’m normal.

8. People are thrown off when you make a funny comeback, or say something sassy.

Yes, I do have a sense of humor.

9. People can think you’re rude.

But really, you just don’t feel like talking.

10. You have the greatest friends ever.

They stuck through the awkward initial stage, and got to know the real you.

You don’t open up right away, and sometimes people think you lack personality because of it. But, that is so not true. People that are initially quiet are often some of the most interesting, funniest people you’ll ever meet.

Photo Credit: adarbrow.wordpress.com

Kelly is a sophomore studying telecommunications and English at UF. She is the Campus Cutie writer and couldn't be more excited for her first semester on the Her Campus UFL team! Kelly is an avid traveler, coffee lover, and Netflix junkie. She is also a member of Delta Zeta and a dual citizen of Canada and the United States. Kelly spent her summer at WWSB ABC 7 as a digital media intern. She hopes to one day produce and write for television in a city like New York or Toronto.