alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Reasons You May Be Better Off Single This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

December, January, and February may be the most couples-centered, holiday-clustered months on the calendar, but they’re also part of the biggest breakup season in the year. No need to fret, though – being single can be the absolute best. Here are 10 reasons you should embrace your solitary status:

1. The toilet seat will always be down. So long are the days of walking into a bathroom in which the toilet seat is always up. Isn’t that reason enough to convince you altogether that being single is the way to go? 

2. You’ll spend more time with your friends. Sometimes being in a relationship makes you sacrifice time with your gal pals. Just because you don’t have a boy toy doesn’t mean you have to be all by your lonesome. Here are some words to live by: Sisters before misters. 

3. Going out is more fun. Go wild! Dance with every guy in the room, and flirt without guilt – you’re not committed to anyone

4. No compromises. You can do what you want, when you want, with who you want, where you want, and how you want. Why? Because you make all of the decisions. You never have to fight over ordering Chinese food or Mexican food, and you don’t have to go through the endless rom-com versus action movie debate. 

5. You have no obligation to participate in boy-related activities. If you couldn’t care less about football, video games, or going to car shows, rejoice. Say goodbye to Halo, and say hello GNOs, spa days, and mani-pedi sleepovers. 

6. No clingy calls, texts, or surprise visits. Cherish your personal space and the silence of your otherwise constantly buzzing phone. 

7. You can focus on school and extracurricular activities. When the average collegiette™ has a weekly schedule that includes endless hours of class, work, club meetings, internships, homework, working out, chores, grocery shopping, and commuting, there’s barely time to eat and shower. Who has time for a boyfriend? Puh-leeze, ain’t nobody got time fo’ that. 

8. No jealousy issues. If that one male from class wants to do homework with you at Starbucks or you want to gush about Zac Efron’s perfectly chiseled abs, you’re able to do so with no questions asked. 

9. You can plan your future around you and only you. Whether graduation is four years or four months away, undergrad goes by fast. You need to plan for the future now, and if you think having a boyfriend might complicate things, it’s okay to be selfish. You’re young; your priorities may revolve around that “me” mentality. If there’s a new city you’ve always wanted to live in or a job you’ve been dying to have, think about yourself first, and don’t let anyone hold you back.  

10.  Independence. You only go to college once, so take the time to enjoy every moment of it without any boundaries. Date around if you want, but don’t forget to experience what this short period of your life can be like without being tied down. Be strong, be bold, and be free. 

Listen up, ladies. It doesn’t matter if you have been single for five minutes or for forever. You don’t have to feel sorry for yourself or wish your situation were different. All that matters is your happiness – and you certainly don’t need a boy for that!

Marisa Ross is a proud Gator alumna from the University of Florida's College of Journalism, where she had the privilege of working with the UFL chapter of Her Campus as a writer, blogger, and editor. Shortly after graduating in 2015, she spent some time abroad teaching English in Madrid, Spain, and voluteering with the press team for the Rio 2016 Olympics. Currently, Marisa resides in South Florida and is thrilled to be a part of Her Campus yet again, this time as the Branded Content Specialist for Integrating Marketing with the national team. In her free time, she stays active by training for races, playing volleyball, and doing anything outdoors or on the water. And if she's not daydreaming about her next travel itinerary, she's probably embarking on a cultural adventure to explore new cities, cuisines, and activities.
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.