10 Binge-Worthy Shows That are No Longer on Air

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s that glorious point in the semester where we can all sit back, relax and binge-watch a show or two because our classes aren’t too intense yet. The most binge-worthy shows, however, seem to be the ones that are no longer on the air. These shows are the ones you can binge-watch until the series finale and actually get closure. The alternative is to watch until you catch up to the live schedule and wait for a new episode every week like a peasant. Here is the list I’ve composed of excellent, off-air shows that I would highly recommend — if for no other reason than because someone is always asking you what show they should watch.

1. The Sopranos (1999-2007)
Where to watch: HBO Go, Xfinity
What is it about?  You will meet a crazy mob boss, Tony Soprano, who is dealing with his professional and personal issues in New Jersey on the show. There is a ton of violence and nudity, but it’s an amazing show that you can probably talk about with your parents.

2. The Office (2005-2013)
Where to watch: Netflix
What is it about? If you haven’t heard of The Office, you probably live in a hole. People are constantly asking me if they should watch it, and the answer is always yes. It’s a ridiculously funny mockumentary about office workers that you just happen to fall in love with.

3. Friends (1994-2004)
Where to watch: Netflix
What is it about? I recommend this show to every single person I talk to about binge-watching. It’s an incredible show that takes place in Manhattan about a group of six friends who we all aspire to be. As relationships develop, you will fall in love with probably every character on Friends.

4. Mad Men (2007-2015)
Where to watch: Netflix
What is it about? Mad Men takes place in the 1960s at one of the top advertising agencies in New York. Not only did I actually want to change my major to advertising after watching this show, but I also wanted to live in the 60s as well. This drama has a ton of action and romance, and it is just really cool to watch an accurate and interesting show that is set 50 years ago.

5. Gossip Girl (2007-2012)
Where to watch: Netflix
What is it about? Rich and fashionable teens that live in the Upper East Side of New York City are plagued by the wrath of an anonymous blogger. This is incredibly binge-worthy because the question remains until the end: Who is Gossip Girl? XOXO

6. One Tree Hill (2003-2012)
Where to watch: Netflix
What is it about? In the small town of Tree Hill, North Carolina, two brothers fight for athletic leadership and the girls in their town. There is a cult following of this show, which has to mean it’s good, right?

7. 30 Rock (2006-2013)
Where to watch: Netflix
What is it about? Liz Lemon, played by Tina Fey, is the head writer of a sketch comedy show where there are a ton of hijinks. She has to deal with the stars on her show, along with her potential lovers. This is a hilarious show that takes place in New York City.

8. That ‘70s Show (1998-2006)
Where to watch: Netflix
What is it about? The storyline follows the relationships and failures of a group of teenagers in the ’70s in Wisconsin. Ashton Kutcher is in it, which is already convincing, but it’s also hilarious and well-done. This is a light binge, but definitely binge-worthy.

9. Breaking Bad (2008-2013)
Where to watch: Netflix
What is it about? A former chemistry teacher and student team up to cook meth. What could be more riveting than that? Although it is labeled as a thriller, there are some definite points of comedy. Tons of people rave about this show, and there are many reasons why.

10. Lost (2004-2010)
Where to watch: Netflix
What is it about? Plane-crash victims attempt to survive on the deserted island they seek refuge on. The adventure and drama is insane, and a binge is not difficult because this show is incredibly captivating. My only piece of advice: Be prepared for an annoying ending.

There are a ton more shows that are binge-worthy, but these are the 10 shows you should definitely start with. I’m a girl who enjoys a good comedy, so the dramas in this list are really great ones. After you finish watching Game of Thrones and Grey’s Anatomy for the week, these shows are worth a try. It’s time to borrow your best friend’s Netflix account password, and start binge-watching!

Photo credit: plarko.com