Pancake Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UEA chapter.

It’s that time of the year again collegiettes: the day when all British students will come together in the kitchen and bond over eggs, flour and milk.  

Pancake day, traditionally named Shrove Tuesday is historically a ‘feast day’ before the start of Lent on Ash Wednesday. Seeing as Lent is a time of fasting, Shrove Tuesday is supposedly the last opportunity to use up eggs and fats before fasting, and pancakes are the perfect excuse to use up all your left over ingredients. Nowadays however, Pancake Day is really just an excuse for the Brits, in particular students, to eat pancakes all day guilt-free.

Despite being a religious holiday, one of the reasons for its popularity among students is the fact that it is incredibly cost effective.

Pancakes ingredients:

– 8oz Plain Flour

– 2 Large Eggs

– 1 Pint of Milk

– Pinch of Salt

– A bit of Butter

Pancake Day festivities range from pancake racing to celebratory processions, but most of us Brits just settle for making a dinner of shoddy pancakes, dropping most of them on the floor in an attempt to toss them, and finally eating what is left under a mountain of delicious toppings.

The selection of pancake toppings is of course the most important aspect of the sacred day. Everyone has their preferences but here are our recommendations from the Her Campus UEA team:

The Classic: Lemon and sugar

– The Indulgent: Nutella and chopped strawberries

– The American: Bacon and maple syrup

(Student hack: Maple syrup costs a bomb, occasionally it’s on offer but usually it’s around £8 for a bottle, so opt for golden syrup instead! It’s very similar in taste and costs about a fifth of the price!)

Jen is a French and International Development student in her final year at University of East Anglia and an aspiring magazine editor. She is an active member of campus social life and when she is not writing future online content or updating her fashion and lifestyle blog, you will find her in Topshop or any cafe that serves tea and cake, reading tonnes of the latest fashion magazines.