Which music genre should be your study buddy?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

I’m sure you have done an assignment last minute or studied for a test the night before. Most people have. In moments like this, it can be very difficult to remain committed and focused on the work due to the overwhelming stress or the lack of motivation. In these moments one of the best tools you can use is music. Music tends to affect people deeply, so you should know how it can affect your studying ability. Many students use music to accompany their brainwaves as they complete their last assignments. It seems so simple, choose your favourite playlists and get to work. This can be an effective method that increases productivity but, according to udiscovermusic, it’s been proven that different genres of music can assist different brain functions when studying.

If you need to cram for a test, classical music is your best bet. Because it does not have any lyrics that can distract the brain, it increases relaxation and concentration. The consistency of rhythm also allows classical music to aid in relaxation and concentration. The fewer instruments used in the composition the better the music tends to be in aiding concentration.

Then there is ambient music and lo-fi music. These genres aid students in relieving stress and allows the brain to be more receptive to new information. These genres of music also have very limited lyrics, but it does include synths and white noise that creates simple beats. If you’re not a fan of classical music, this might suit your taste a little better.

If you’re in a hurry, electronic dance music is the way to go. You might think that EDM is only for rave festivals, but it actually has many benefits for your brain. Electronic dance music can help you zone into your work. Its intense but simple and repetitive beats allow your brain to fall into an extreme zone of focus. This is a great tool that you can use to complete assignments on a time crunch.

When you have an assignment that requires a bit of creativity you might want to try listening to world music. This would be folk and indigenous songs from outside of your usual demographic. Try music from the Caribbean, Egypt, or Australia. There are many playlists on different streaming platforms that will help you find music from all over the globe. The diverse mixture of styles and instruments is sure to drum up some creativity in your brain and the new styles will also keep your brain refreshed for long periods of time.

If you feel overstimulated or overwhelmed then try listening to atmospheric rock. This creates a soft lull in the background whilst providing a minimal narrative structure to comfort your brain. Listening to atmospheric rock during your little study breaks will allow your brain to reboot so that it is clear and relaxed for your next study session.

When you find yourself losing interest in your studies, you might want to try listening to instrumental jazz. Its smooth rhythms and nostalgic feel can help immerse your brain back into your studies. This genre creates a pleasant and optimistic outlook, allowing you to better engage with your study content.

As amazing as music is as a study tool, the volume of music also plays a big role. When you play your music too loud it may disrupt your thought path and instead you will find yourself becoming even more overwhelmed by your studies. It is also important to note that some people do study better in complete silence. This is completely dependent on your own limits. Different music will also have a different effect based on your moods and your personal taste. These tips are simply guidelines, not rules, so it is important that you take your time to explore which music helps you complete your tasks.

Hi! I'm Zara Smith and am currently doing a triple major in Film, Media and English Literature. I love writing and am very interested in pop culture and how it relates to social issues. My writing mainly explores the film industry, music, fashion and of course celebrity news! I hope you all enjoy what I have to offer!