This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Imagine if there was a way of knowing exactly what kind of person you’re going to be, all based on the exact moment and place in which you were born. Sounds insane? Well, it exists: welcome to the world of Astrology!

Astrology is defined as the study of movements and relative positions of celestial bodies interpreted as having an influence on human affairs and the natural world (Oxford Dictionary). In other words, it is the belief that the sun, moon, stars and planets can determine your character and impact your life as well as the lives of those around you. This belief system has dominated pop culture in the last decade. Knowing someone’s star sign, moon sign and rising before knowing their last name is not as rare of an occurrence as one might believe.

As intriguing as I find it, truthfully, I’m slightly ambivalent towards the subject of Astrology. This is because I am guilty of having confirmation bias – when looking at my horoscope or reading up on my sign (I’m a Cancer, btw) I unconsciously seek and believe information that fits into the narrative I’ve curated for myself and rejecting anything that doesn’t “align with my brand.”

Despite this, I cannot deny that Astrology as a belief system does hold weight, particularly in my experience with it. It has made me more introspective, allowed me to reflect and become more self-aware of my life and the decisions I’ve made, and will make in the future. Overall, it has allowed me to develop a deeper and more meaningful relationship with myself and taught me a few great lessons:

Stop crying for crab’s sake!

Let me honest, the title of this was a slight drag at myself and fellow Cancer babies. One of the biggest stereotypes about Cancers is that we can be cry-babies and a tad overemotional. Even if, I hate to admit it, there’s truth to that statement. 

The issue with being characteristically sensitive as a Cancer, is that sometimes we can get overemotional to the point of victimising ourselves. Listen, I enjoy a good cry and pity party as much as the next person, especially where there’s cake involved, and given the current circumstances that we face, we must handle ourselves with care and try not to invalidate our own emotions. The point I am referring to here is when we let our emotions take control of us to the point that we’re neglectful of others’ feeling and the damage our actions may have caused them. 

I have found that I can paint people as villains for looking past my emotions and wanting to hold me accountable. They weren’t disregarding my feelings, they were trying to help me improve myself, and behind my blinders of feigned innocence, I couldn’t see that. And, at least for me, the most integral part of self-care isn’t sheet masks and ‘Sex and the City’ on a Sunday, it’s holding yourself responsible: acknowledging your destructive traits, the potential they have to harm others and making the first step towards changing them.

You don’t always gotta be so crabby, you know

Before the Rona hit and made 2020, certifiably, the worst year to exist, I was actually having a pretty good year. In fact, it was the best year I’d probably ever had. I had some of my most memorable and cherished moments with the best friends one could ever ask for. I had a larger involvement in my residence and university as a whole and everything in my life was just exactly how I wanted to be – I was happy.

I’m mentioning this, because from what I’ve read Cancers seemingly have a penchant for being pessimistic and letting their insecurities sometimes stop them from enjoying themselves. Cancers also have a hesitance to try new things, because our safe space is inside our shells. This rung especially true for me, but for some reason, maybe it has something to do with the fact that I’m entering my twenties this year, I decided that I wouldn’t let it stop me this year. I’m not entirely sure what it was, but it’s like I had been carrying 19 years’ worth of baggage, of caring what others thought of me, on my shoulders and it suddenly just melted away. For the first time in my life, I felt like I opening myself up to uninhibited joy. Happiness without any barriers or conditions. It felt like I was stepping into the person I always wanted to be. But, nothing had changed. I looked into the mirror and the girl in front of me didn’t have a smaller waist, she still lacked quite a bit in the boobs department (*sigh*), she was still as socially awkward as ever, replying, “Thank you, you too” when airport staff wished her well on her flight. Yet, she was still everything I dreamed she would be.

Put the claws away (for now)

Ironically, one of the most important lessons Astrology taught me is to not to be so judgemental of others. 

Unfortunately, it has become a common trend for people to completely dissociate from someone or have a lack of faith in any potential connection they might have with someone merely because of their star sign. I used to loosely have this similar way of thinking until I realised how absurd it was and how there are exceptions, to some degree, about astrological signs’ compatibility. For instance, three signs which I am not supposed to be compatible with are, Libras, Aries and Aquarius, but I usually immediately hit it off with them without knowing their signs. In the same vein, I don’t have anyone close to me that is a Scorpio and I usually don’t gel as well with them, but according to most astrological media, they’re supposed to be my soulmate. I am in no way denouncing the legitimacy of Astrology or saying that there are exceptions to every rule, I just believe that everything is up to interpretation and everyone should learn from experience instead of creating a culture which we dismiss certain people outright before getting to know them and potentially surprising ourselves.

Astrology is great tool that has helped me become more introspective and self-aware. It has shown me the importance of being brutally honest with myself and cognizant of how my actions affect those around me, how I was holding myself back from potentially fulfilling experiences and has made me more open-minded. Above all, it has instilled a sense of gratitude in me for things I once viewed as weaknesses: my sensitivity, vulnerability and emotional depth as a Cancer. I truly believe that this is one of the biggest benefits that has come with the popularisation of astrology in recent decades, which is developing a greater appreciation for all that you are.

Bachelor of Arts Majoring in English Literature & Psychology at the University of Cape Town