This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

With winter creeping up on our doorsteps, and vac just around the corner, what better way is there to spend the winter huddled up inside with your besties, family or partner than watching movies!

As a film student and lover of cosy films, I’ve compiled a list of my favourite comfy movies that should hopefully give you a boost of happiness when you watch them!

1. Her, Spike Jonze, 2013.

Her, what a special film. The story follows Theodore (Joaquin Phoenix), a single and lonely writer living in a high-tech near future. He buys a new Operating System that is programmed to help the user’s every need, which leads him to form a relationship with Samantha (voiced by Scarlett Johansson).

Set against a backdrop of pastel reds and oranges, neon city skylines and filtered sun, Her is a beautiful, simple story about love and loneliness.

2. Amelie, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001.

A classic French film, Amelie tells the story of Amelie Poulain, a shy but incredibly creative waitress who sets herself a personal mission of helping others. She sees herself as a guardian angel type of character but soon finds herself infatuated with a stranger, leaving her confused about who she is and what she must do in life.

With a quirky but beautiful soundtrack, Amelie is a film that will stay with you for a while and leave you wanting to be the best and most kind version of yourself.

3. Knives Out, Rian Johnson, 2019.

A classic murder mystery! A soon-to-be franchised universe, Knives Out is a detective film that follows the death (or murder) of Harlan Thrombey, the father and grandfather of the Thrombey family. Elitist, self-centred and vain, the family gets entwined in a murder mystery that finds Marta (Ana de Armas), Harlan’s nurse and carer, right in the middle of it.

With Daniel Craig starring as a southern-twinged Benoit Blanc, the master detective on the case, Knives Out boasts bright, saturated colours set against a gorgeous Gothic mansion, with a side of murder and a very suspicious family.

4. Pride & Prejudice, Joe Wright, 2005.

Ugh, Pride & Prejudice – one of the cosiest films ever. This Jane Austen adaptation is perfect in every way. From the radiating warmth of the Bennet family to the impeccable soundtrack, this film feels like a warm hug on a cold day.

Starring Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet and Matthew Macfadyen as Mr Darcy, this love story will guarantee a re-watch. Set in Hertfordshire amongst flowing rivers, green fields and somehow perfect sunlight, Elizabeth and Mr Darcy’s enemies-to-lovers storyline will have you encapsulated from start to finish, wishing you had more to watch.

The comedic dialogue between the characters interspersed with Elizabeth’s independent and thoughtful comments makes this film an absolute classic.

5. Emma., Autumn de Wilde, 2020.

Sticking to the theme of Jane Austen adaptations, Emma. is an aesthetically pleasing film if I’ve ever seen one. With pale pastels, perfectly coiffed hair and symmetrical set styling, this giddy film gets better and better each time you watch it.

With Anya Taylor-Joy as Emma, the evolution from her quirky, snarky and princess-like personality to her slightly kinder version, fills your heart with fun and joy.

De Wilde’s styling of both the set and characters makes this film super aesthetically pleasing, so grab yourself a pot of tea and some cake and get ready for some snobby but stylish watching.

6. Wes Anderson

I know, I didn’t name a specific film. That’s because they’re all incredible: from The Grand Budapest Hotel to Fantastic Mr Fox, Anderson somehow always manages to curate the snuggest, cosy and lovely film you can watch.

If you’re looking for pretty colours, fun dialogue, and heart-warming endings, pick pretty much any of his films and you’re good to go.

7. Ratatouille, Brad Bird, 2007.

Finally, an animated film that can warm even the coldest of hearts. Set in Paris, France, we see Remy the rat on his journey to become a chef. What

Through many trials and tribulations, Remy successfully achieves his goal and cooks amazing food in a high-end restaurant. What more could you want in a film than watching a rat following his passion for cooking set in Paris?

So there we go! A few films to keep you company during the vac, best watched cuddled up with a friend or two and a mug of hot chocolate. Hope you enjoy and feel all snuggly!

Hi! I'm a film student and an avid reader. I adore cooking, nature, and trying to be the best version of myself :)