Culture > News

#StopAsianHate – What to know about the movement & show your support

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

It has been one year since the dawn of the pandemic. A year that has shed light on many of society’s problems – including inadequate healthcare, the very real extent of poverty and the impact of looming threats of unemployment. But the recent attacks of anti-Asian violence across the world have put a spotlight on two of society’s oldest viruses – racism and xenophobia. Considering COVID-19’s origins in China, many people around the world have seen it fit to condone violent and brutal attacks against Asian people. As coined by the United Nations: we are now facing a ‘virus of hate’. This article will shed some light on what the #StopAsianHate means, and what you can do to show your support and take an active stand against racism and hate crimes.

The movement behind #StopAsianHate found momentum shortly after the COVID-19 pandemic started. During the past year, people of Asian descent have been the targets of derogatory language in the media and the victims of violent attacks, beatings, bullying, threats, abuse and discrimination that is linked to the pandemic. There have even been reports of Asians being deliberately spat or coughed on, facing severe workplace discrimination and being prohibited from entering establishments like grocery stores solely on the basis of being of Asian descent. The extent of anti-Asian violence culminated in March 2021, when six Asian women were murdered at three different spas during a violent, hate-fuelled killing spree in the USA. What further adds to the sorrow and trauma of the Atlanta shootings is the sympathy that the media and law enforcement have for the alleged suspect – a white “deeply religious” man, Robert Aaron Long. 

Unfortunately, these horrific shootings are only the tip of a very big, very ugly iceberg that shows the deep-rooted racism of many. Attacks like these have been spurred on by harmful comments made by Donald Trump, the former president of the USA, calling the pandemic the “Kung-flu” and “China-virus”. The phenomenon of Asian hate goes much deeper than what is reported in the news. Governments across the world (particularly in the USA and Europe) are using the pandemic as a means of advancing their own anti-immigrant laws and to condone white supremacies and ultra-nationalism. This approach goes against the heart of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination – which 182 countries around the world are bound by. 

If the realisation that such blatant forms of hate and racism are still prevalent today does not enrage you on a deep level, then I fear that you are part of the problem. The COVID-19 pandemic has brought a significant loss of life to the world, and the scourge of anti-Asian violence because of unfounded hatred has added to the already significant death toll of the past year. Despite anti-Asian racism having spiked during the pandemic, it is not a new phenomenon – it actually dates back centuries. Here is a glimpse of the realities currently faced by the Asian community: 

• In the USA alone there were more than 3 800 serious incidents reported related to physical attacks and hate crimes against Asians – and it is certain that this significant number is an undercount of the true extent of the rise of anti-Asian violence. Globally, there has been a 150% increase of brutal attacks against Asians, violating their most basic human rights.

• Degrading slurs, throwing bricks, barring people from businesses, threats of death, being spat on and being murdered are just a few examples of these incidents reported across the world in Italy, Greece, the UK, Brazil, Germany and even in our beloved South Africa. 

• Asian-owned businesses continue to be the subject of vandalism and owners have even reported being stabbed, harassed and shunned from their communities. 

• In the UK, reports and videos have been leaked online showing Asian people being punched in the face, taunted and accused of spreading COVID-19. Russia went so far as to make it mandatory for drivers to report Chinese passengers and police raided various locations to force Asian people into quarantine solely based on their Asian descent.

• In Spain, a Chinese-American man was beaten so badly that he remained in a coma for two days – and at the same time, a Burmese family was brutally knifed in Texas, USA. 

This really has been just a glimpse, and I can guarantee you that there are many more stories like these that will horrify you to your core. But what can we do to play our part? The answer is very simple: stop perpetuating hate towards the Asian community. This applies to everything you do. When 2.7 million people have died because of the pandemic, that COVID-19 meme you want to share really is not funny. It never has been. Jokes like that just contribute to the idea that the hatred towards people of Asian descent is grounded in good reason – which it really is not. Use your social media to be vocal about the issue of anti-Asian violence. Use the #StopAsianHate and raise awareness as much as you can. Be an ally to people of Asian descent by calling out racist jokes and using your privilege to make others recognise the severity of the issue. Amplify the outrage and share the stories of the 84-year-old Thai man murdered in San Francisco, the 64-year-old Vietnamese woman assaulted in San Jose and the Filipino man who had his faced slashed. Yes, I know these stories make us feel hurt and uncomfortable, but your silence will only aid the oppressors. Report any hate crimes you see and make sure you stay updated on the issue of anti-Asian violence. Check in on your Asian friends and family, and make sure you ask what you can do to help. Order takeout from your local Asian restaurants and support Asian-owned businesses. You can even donate to The Cause Against Anti-Asian Violence (see www.gofundme.com/support-the-cause-against-anti-asian-violence). 

But the most important thing you can do: DO NOT BE SILENT. People of Asian descent are not a threat. They are not the virus. The recent Atlanta killings serve as a haunting reminder of the harassment, racism and assaults that people of Asian descent are subjected to. In these times, when the Asian community is reeling from the high levels of racist attacks over the last year, it is more important than ever for you to do your part to make the world a slightly safer place. We are in the midst of the most challenging times of our lives. It is time to stand up and condemn the violence around us. Use your voice and let us #StopAsianHate.