This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Spring is the time of the year when everything grows. It is also the perfect time to capitalize on the new season to finally start that miniature garden you’ve been saying you’re going to grow. Sometimes we feel that we can’t start something because it’s too much of a task to complete in one go, but I’ll help you with some basic ideas to start your own veggie patch!

First, we need to discuss the seedlings. What kind of plants grow in spring and grow easily? It is a good idea to go to your local nursery and buy some seasonal seedlings. If you live in South Africa, your options should include carrots, spinach, celery and beetroots. These are some pretty easy things to grow from seeds or seedlings, and often produce a good yield.

You will also want to gather some good dark soil or buy a big bag at your local nursery. Soil is usually not expensive, but it is extremely important as it will dictate how well your vegetables will grow. Lastly, you will need somewhere to plant it. You could either do this in a 2L drink bottle, a pot, or straight into the ground.

If you decide to do it in the ground, you will need to make sure that the soil is not too sandy and not too hard. It is a good idea tochurn it up a bit with a spade first. You will also have to demarcate the area so that nobody steps on your seedlings when they start peeking out. The same applies to your pot planter. If you are going to plant two or more types of seeds you will have to take a piece of wood or plastic and mark the ground with the name of what you planted there. Trust me, you will not remember what went where – even the gardening veterans forget!

If you decide to do your planting in a 2L cooldrink bottle, then good on you for recycling! Here is what you need to do:

1. Wash your bottle so that there are no remaining juices and take off the plastic label.
  2. Use a box cutter to create a hole between the middle and the top of your bottle.
  3. Use the box cutter again to make three little slits at the bottom of the bottle.
  4. Take some small pebbles and place one layer at the bottom of the bottle.
  5. Take your soil and fill your bottle until your cut-line.
  6. Take your seed and put it 1cm under the soil and cover it up.
  7. Sprinkle a handful of water over your seed.
  8. Use the removable lid to pour your water in every day. Be careful not to drown your seedling!

All your seedlings should be watered at least once every two days. Make sure they’re getting some sun and you should see them sprout up in no time. There is nothing quite as magical as watching something flourish that you made with your own two hands. Here’s to having a wonderful and fruitful spring!

Ocean-lover, adventurer, writer. I enjoy reading and drinking coffee. I am passionate about my studies and empowering womxn. In my free time I work as a medic on the road and I teach self-defence to young girls in underprivileged areas through a NPO called FightBackSA.