Life > Academics

Six Tips to Help You Get Back into University-Mode

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Jumping back into studying and university life after a break can feel like a daunting task and can also be a very unpleasant and unwelcomed change. It’s natural to feel out-of-practice, and if you’re not sure where to start, here are six tips to help you get you back into that university state of mind.

1. Put all your stationery together

One of the first things to think about when you’re going to start studying again is your stationery. Organizing your books and stationery is a great way to mentally prepare yourself for when you need to start working and being productive again. Have a look through all your things, throw out any broken or used up pens, get rid of any old memos you have written in your notepads, and buy any essentials that you may still need for the year. The most crucial item is a diary! Write out your daily schedule, test dates and to-do lists, and anything else you’ll need to keep track of in order to stay organised.

2. Start getting excited for your courses

Thinking about all the work that lies ahead of you for the year can seem really unnerving, so it can be beneficial to try looking at your courses from a different perspective. Attempt to find at least one fascinating aspect to each module that you can look forward to that way you’ll be eager to start working again. Alternatively, if the course is totally uninspiring and you find yourself completely passionless, find another friend who will be doing that same course with you. At least you can suffer together.

3. Clean up your workspace

Having a clean work environment helps you feel organised and productive. It will make it easier to adjust to getting back into your studies. Put away any files or notes that you don’t need: you don’t want to have unnecessary clutter floating around that could cause you any extra stress. On the subject of clutter, remove that heap of clothes that you’ve been piling onto your desk chair over the past month before it turns into a sentient being! And no, I don’t mean just moving it from your chair onto your floor.

4. Try something new

Sometimes jumping straight back into your old routine of studying can feel incredibly boring and unmotivating, but a great cure for that is to try something new. This could mean joining a society, playing an instrument, participating in a sport you’ve always wanted to try, or just picking up a new casual hobby. Committing yourself to something different outside of your studies is refreshing. It could give you the right balance between work and play that you need in order to feel inspired to start working again. Just be sure that you aren’t overcommitting yourself and that you don’t get overwhelmed by all your new responsibilities.

5. Plan out some outfits

Even if you’re studying from home, planning out some outfits for your workday is a fun way to get yourself excited about the tasks ahead of you. People underestimate the power that your outfit has to determine your feelings towards the day. Wearing clothes that you love will make you feel confident. Embrace the dark academia aesthetic you’ve been obsessed with on Pinterest. And remember, no garment is too fancy for university. Did I wear a smart pair of platform shoes to my first day of classes this year? Yes. Did my feet hurt at the end of the day? Also, yes. But did I feel fabulous and powerful the entire day? Absolutely! I have no regrets.

6. Remember to treat yourself kindly

Adjusting to studying again can be overwhelming after being on holiday. Remember that it’s okay to take time for yourself and to still have fun- life isn’t meant to be all work, no play. Even during your studies, it’s beneficial to still set aside time to see your friends and family so that you avoid burnout. It’s important to take care of yourself and your mental health. And if you feel like you need support, don’t feel afraid of reaching out to any support services, friends, family members or professionals.

Film and Television Studies Honours student